Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely aggravating problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chaak

Chaak

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

Whenever I boot up my computer it will go to the safemode screen and no matter what I choose, it will reboot itself. I have Ubuntu on a flash drive, and have tried to use that to get my data off the drive, but it will not work and it gives me a {DRTY ERR} message. This is getting on my nerves. Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

Was that DRDY err instead of DRTY?

Bad blocks on the drive would be my guess.

Boot from windows cd and run chkdsk /r and if it does not boot to windows after that it might boot to ubuntu and let you run fsck. Google the DRDY to see the exact syntax for running fsck forced from ubuntu live.

Bad blocks on the drive can bugger the partition or important files so If this drive has your only copy of something important, perhaps you should google forensic drive imaging first and see if you can make an image (on an external drive or network drive) that an expert could use to recover the data.

Also, if your ubuntu flash is 8.04 you might want to download and burn the 9.10 iso to cd or make another flash boot. 9.10 seems to have a more thorough drive check when trying to automount an ntfs volume and I have had it detect file system errors and drive hardware errors that nothing on xp was noticing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users