Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what virus is this and what do I do to remove it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jordansd305

jordansd305

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=8YDABTH5

AVG didn't detect anything in this file, but once it was opened I started getting a bunch of runtime errors, AVG detected a bunch of viruses, and now it looks like it's infected my boot sector since now Windows won't boot, even in safe mode or last known good configuration.

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP3.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 April 2010 - 11:40 PM.
Deactivate link. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jordansd305

jordansd305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:26 PM

It looks like Avira has a boot sector repair tool, should I use this? I also found some other options I can try, but I'm afraid of messing something else up before proceeding, so I'd first like to receive advice.

I saw someone mention that donations are no longer needed due to ad revenue. Would making a purchase at http://www.cafepress.com/bleepingcomputr also help out? I can also make a purchase at one of your advertisers, although I can't say I actually see any ads, even with AdBlock Plus turned off... Is there a list of current advertisers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users