Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive shows 99% Used and Fragged

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:59 AM

Hi all. Over the last week my friend advised me he had seen a warning flashing up ocassionaly saying C drive was running out of space, click on the box to clean it up. Finally got there today, ran disk clean immediately. Cleaned or compressed 275mb of something. Went to defrag C drive and to my horror witnessed 99% fragging and only 1% freespace on a 90gb cuda. Not enough space to degrag. Arrrrrgh!

Checked the report which showed the top two culprits. \Windows\system32\jcsb.new 56Gb and 65000 frags, next Windows\system32\jcsb.dat 315Mb and 11000 frags.

Spoke with AVG tech support as had also, this morning, run a AVG boot disc scan. deep scan from ISO disc at pre Windows install level, which showed c;ean. Not a single bleeping virus on any drive.

Their suggestion, after I'd caught your forum thread by googling the jcsb.new phrase, was to download your Combofix.

Having checked out the instructions, immediately registered to use the forums and seek some help.

So, here I is. Am heading back to site 08:30 hrs NZ time (=GMT +12) tommorow morning.

I have better than average experience but am not formally trained. Am smart enough to follow detailed instructions, and look forward to some assistance.

Cheers for now.,

Thanks and regards
A long suffering MS user

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:46 AM

Hi MMCinNZ - (From an Aussie)

Go to Control Panel > Add Remove Programs - Delete all programs you do not use every few days - Then go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean up , and remove the unwanted files listed there- Mainly Temp Internet files(there will be heaps) - If you have CCleaner installed then run that -
Now check in Defrag how much free space is left - You will need about 3% free to Defrag - Once you get down to 3% free Defrag (it will take a long time) - Let it run as long as you can -
Right click on a vacant area of the main screen first and set the computer to run for a long time -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

EDIT - After Defrag run this CHK DSK code in Run box - Cut and paste the code into the box and let it run -
Close all open programs - It will reboot then run a full 5 stage check on your system -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Do not run Combo fix by yourself - If needed only do it with an experts assistance -

Edited by noknojon, 15 April 2010 - 06:55 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

FWIW: I don't see the applicability of even thinking about using ComboFix...on a drive with insufficient free space on the system partition.

I suggest moving (another partition, CD/DVD,etc.) enough files to give Windows maximum opportunity to function properly. I've seen 15% generally cited as the amount of free space required on the system partition.

Louis

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

@ hamluis -
The general rule for XP is a minimum of 3-5% or it will just jam up , but 10% is prefered -
I always keep 70% + free and defrag in 5 mins - With 10% free it would usually take 10-15 hours if very bad -
As hamluis said , download programs onto CD and slowly Reinstall only IF you need them - Do not forget to Fully uninstall any of the programa once you download to CD or delete it -
Thank you

Edited by noknojon, 15 April 2010 - 09:43 AM.

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

You can also create free space by lowering the space reserved for the recycle bin and restore points. On large drives this can be substantial since the default is 10%.

#6 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

Messages received loud and clear. As stated in my original post, having read the instructions for Combofix, I immediately registered on this site for advice and assistance.

Please remember, I am not formally trained but have better than average experience. Bearing this in mind, some things will not be immediately obvious to me, where they are to you good people. However, I am smart enough to provide detailed information and to ask for your help.

All comments gratefully eceived.

One thing is clear, I need to do some basic house cleaning first. Thanks to noknojon, hamluis and Ken-In-West-Seattle.

I would ask of you all to comment on the fact that the Defrag report shows the files described in the seriously fragmented sizes.

This machine has previously been very very well maintained. Last week I defragged it 3 times, and as suggested by you good folk, it took moments.

Concurrent events which may or may not have any bearing this last week, CPUID software added, ISP changed, AVG issues occurred but virus scans are regular and thorough. And the case has been operating on it's side for a couple of weeks, it is a very recently upgraded machine, the old motherboard having been transferred from a micro ATX case to a 6 fan Thermaltake mid tower, brand new Thermal Take Evo Blue 550w power supply, brand new RAM modules (2x 1Gb 400DDR), a new Cuda 250Gb hard drive in addition to the 5 year old now problematic Cuda 80Gb drive, a 1TB WD USB 2.0 external drive plus, a brand new Radeon 4650 8x AGP card with 1 Gb ram.

Mother board is a Gigabyte 775 socket, running a P4 provessor with standard cooling fan. Since upgrading, thi has been running well within voltages, temperature and fan speed specs. But CPU has been stuck at 100% regularly.

I tried to list this info in my profile, but figure this may be useful here.

So, will remove unwanted programmes by proper means to make space, then defrag. But the burning question is what are those two files Windows\system32\jcsb.new at 56GB and Windows\system32\jcsb.DAT at 312MB that have suddenly arrived, and what caused my hard drive to explode into these fragments over the short time it has operated this week.
A long suffering MS user

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

If you Google either of those two filenames...you will see that there is nothing concrete.

If you have files in System32 that you cannot connect to appropriately being where they should be...you should be concerned.

You say that you have run several quality scans...and they produce nothing.

Did you try clicking on Properties for either of these files...to see what they might be?

I will move this thread to the Am I Infected forum, where someone can give you guidance that will affirm/refute your fears.

Louis

#8 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

Thanks hamluis.

Progress update. On boot up machine failed to start. Ran Windows recovery. Got to 75% complete then stopped, reporting unfixed errors, but repaired sufficiently for me to boot in Safe Mode. Under Safe Mode removed a number of the larger programmes. Rebooted automatically in normal mode. Am now running Dick Cleanup.

:thumbsup: :trumpet: :flowers:
A long suffering MS user

#9 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

Update no. 2.

Dik Clean completed. Took 8 hours. The 56GB file Windows\system32jcbs.new still exists.

Tried to defrag hard drive. The cleaning process managed to clean an extra Gb or 1% of HDD space. Which is unbelievable to me as I removed over 3GB of program files before running disc clean.

So, ran defrag to see where we got to, ignored the warning that Windows needed 15% to defrag the disc to see what would happen. The defrag ran resulting in massively reduced fragged file list but still including the bloated 56GB file.

Ran it again. Subsequently next report showed even less fragged files, and notable the other rogue had gone being Windos\system32\jcsb.DAT.

Went back to add remove programs, to be more aggressive and found that programs I had uninstalled yesterday, appeared in the populated list in full, so removed them again. This is not a pleasant process and I'm no closer to dealing with the initial problem file.

How can I trust moving programs and files off the drive, if I decide to Fdisk and reinstall if I can't trace the source of the bloating.

Any ideas guys

:thumbsup:
A long suffering MS user

#10 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

PS, AVG Security Software is now completely inoperable. I am unable to interact with any component in it's interface at all.
A long suffering MS user

#11 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Update 3.

Having taken a punt, I deleted both of the jcsb files. Windows continued to operate. Degragged the now 56Gb cleaner harddrive. Ran yet another updated virus check. Still nothing. Rebooted computer. Seems all programs and Windows operate just fine.

Now deleting 5 years worth of empty temporary files from Windows Temp, bear in mind this is my friends computer, and being of the much older set, had never been shown how to do basic PC Health house keeping. So, I'm doing it this time but typing up basic instructions as I complete tasks, and saving them into a dedicated folder called System S & M. These instructions include screen shots of each process, to ensure he gets the best from his upgraded machine.

Has anyone been able to determine what the jcsb files were?

Is it possible that by operating the PC case on it's side that these files were created by windows in protest to the hard drives being operated vertivally rather than horizontally? :thumbsup:
A long suffering MS user

#12 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

Update 4.

No ill effects from deleting Windows\system32\jcsb.new or Windows\system32\jcsb.DAT.

Took 3 hours deleting 550,000 .tmp files from C:\Windows\TEMP folder. These were ALL generated from 29/12/2009 until 30/03/2010. This PC has been regularly scanned with AVG.

No new software was installed during this time.

What program could force XP to generate so many redundant files, and why wouldn't XP remove them?

EDIT: Thread continues with new post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/311893/jcsbdat-61gb-fragment/ ~ Animal
A long suffering MS user

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users