Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 User Name-Change

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peejabe

Peejabe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:23 AM

Dear Members,
I have the need to delete/remove the registered Username from a recently purchased Laptop comp running Win7 Home Premium.

I purchased the lappy from JB complete with Win 7 and various programs pre-loaded ( normal deal) for a young lady friend for Christmas. Together we set the item up for her but I had the impression that said lady was completely underwhelmed by this item, she having basic understanding of - and little need for - such an item. Her true wish was for an external hard drive which I later purchased for her, retrieving the laptop as it would never have been used !

Now, my prob is that the I wish to remove her User name from the system and replace it with another, it potentially being embarrassing should another female friend see this current Username appear on-screen and query its reason for being ...

I appreciate that there appear to be various tech consequences of deleting this name if done incorrectly ( if at all possible) and, therefore, am praying that some members out there may be of assistance in this matter. Is anybody able to assist me with this problem, please ?

Any questions you might have will be answered to the best of my ability, just as I will endeavour to follow any advice to the best of my ability.

Thanking you in anticipation,
Fellow Member,
Peejabe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:27 AM

first thing to do is got to start/control panel /users and create a new acct with administrator right ,using your name .after doing that restart computer and enter under the new acct ,go to users again and delete her acct it will ask if you want to save files [like mydocuments and music and such] if you want to say yes ,and continue .
if htats not whay you want to do ,then in users just simply change the name on her acct

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

Changing the name of the account will not change the folder name of the user. This will still show the original data. If you do the first idea of creating a new user then removing the old one that will do the job for you. Make sure though if you are doing that maker sure the user you add has the correct permissions to edit stuff before you delete an account that is admin. This will have serious issue for you. to be able to do this though you will need to have an admin account. I would advise that you set up a Admin account that you know the password for then remove the old account. When you give it to someone else then add them as a new account.
Posted Image

#4 Peejabe

Peejabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

Thank you to both caperjac & projectfocus for your responses.

I had created a new User via the control panel\users route, naming myself as Administrator and deleting the Original username from there. This is no problem as it's straightforward.

The problem is removing the original User from the system. By deleting the name via the above method merely does that; vaporise the name .... the Folder name remains as is/was with major difficulty being present in endeavouring to delete the actual Folder ( plus contents). Not only this, one is stuck with the problem of all the old User names remaining in the Registry.

I have some idea ( strong) that I might have to let sleeping dogs lie and have the system stay as it is. As you good people have suggested, 'serious issues' may follow any 'hit & miss' method of tackling this problem so, as I have stated just now, I feel that I might just leave it.

Thank you so much for your kind contributions and may you enjoy excellent health throughout the year.

Peejabe.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

No, you have option to delete the user files and folders when deleting an account. The user folder also gets deleted in the process. Each user in Windows 7 has its own registry file, when you delete a user folder, the registry file is also deleted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users