Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I just scanned...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soryo

soryo

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

So, within a few minutes my computer was taken over by 'xp security too', and 'digital protection'. After a lot of phone calls and trying out different virus scanners, I think it's all gone. I'm not getting pop ups, and the internet stopped freezing...However, my files are completely screwed up...I don't know what to do! I think important files got deleted along with the viruses! For example, I can't get into my computer, my documents, or any of those things now.
It says

"C:/WINDOWS/Explorer.EXE

Application not found."

Is it possible to fix this? I'm really freaked out...None of my files open correctly anymore. I try opening 'paint', and it opens a list and I have to find the program on it. ._________.;;;

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post this.

I quarantined everything the scanner found, instead of deleting them. Dunno if that will help or not. v.v;

Edited by soryo, 15 April 2010 - 12:20 AM.

Remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechSavvyT

TechSavvyT

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:30 AM

The worst part about virus removal is that removing the virus often only removes the root of the issue, leaving a mess to clean up afterwards. Generally, large holes in windows or the registry.

You can try repairing your version of windows with the i386 folder.

To do this go to Start -> run -> type "sfc /scannow" (without the " ") If it requires a system disk, then you'll need one to finish the repair, sometimes it doesn't though.

This can take a while but it will repair your windows for the most part. It does a fairly decent job of it, but if worst comes to worst you may need to find a system disk to redo your system. Or you can make your own bootable disk using BartPE (just google it, and you can download it if you have an extra computer. You'll need a CD to do it though). BartPE also uses the i386 folder, but as previously stated it creates a bootable image on CD for you. So, it's like starting from scratch.

A word of waning with BartPE: It doesn't work for XP Media Center (as of the last time I tried it). I was able to get it to function properly for both XP home and pro. I know new versions were coming out for both Vista and 7, but I'm not aware if they are actually out or stable yet.

If you have the ability remove the hard drive from the "broken" computer and hook it into a computer that works, you can then copy Explorer.exe from the working XP computer and paste it into the same folder of the "broken" machine.

Best of luck!

#3 soryo

soryo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:35 AM

When I try running sfc /scannow, it tries to get me to find a program to do it on, just like whenever I try and open any of the other programs. >_<

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:15 AM

Try running the EXE File Association Fix given here:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 soryo

soryo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

Omg I think I love you. xD
It worked <3
Files fixed! At least the ones I checked. XD
I'll keep that page bookmarked. Thanks for your help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users