Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB flash memory con't work or reformat. Help,please?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EmaWW

EmaWW

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:41 PM

A new USB flash memory (Cruzer 8Gb formatted as fat32)
refuses to accept files when I move (drag) them into it from my HD and shows a message :
‘Cannot create or replace file (folder). Cannot find specified file. Make sure you specify correct path and file name.’

Never before had such a problem with other USB memory flashes.

Standard test shows nothing …

Tried to fix the problem by doing optimization/ error check in Properties window and also to reformat using the normal approach. with Windows.
Computer just does nothing - no reacrion at all.
Properties for the USB flash tells me that both free and used paces are 0 (zero) which seems not normal to me.
Now I‘m stuck with this dead USB flash .

Is there any better way to reformat USB flash , say, with some more powerful program?
I have Windows XP pro.

This is one-off task and I hope there are some free or sharewares around?

Thanks for your practical advise

Ema

Edited by EmaWW, 14 April 2010 - 11:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Memphis T-shirt

Memphis T-shirt

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

You said 'new'... did it ever work in any machine?

You've been around flash drives for a while, but it never hurts to ask..

Does it have a data/power LED? Does/did it light up at all?

Same results in other USB ports in same machine? Other machines?

:thumbsup:

"Stupid Pet Tricks" time (from my own experiences)

Most problems with "decent" USB thumbdrives I've seen have been physical connection problems (as in interference/seating).

I've lost count on the number of craptops where I've had to carve out the plastic case around the USB port(s) to plug in a thumbdrive (or even a USB cable for that matter). Same for desktops, the front panel upper USB jack on my Antec case is picky about some USB items (the humping dog doesn't count)

I've had a number of flashdrives that have also need some 'carving' around the base.

The dumbest one yet.. (and have seen on "major brand' stuff as well) is that the plastic housing was too 'long' (?). Think of a wire that wasn't stripped back far enough, close corollary. I bought a PNY 2 gig out of a sale bin at Office Snax for $4. I had to carve off about .125" of the housing to get it to work even in the "bare metal" backplane USB jacks on any computer.

If it never has worked, it's probably DOA (unless you want to play with the above pet tricks). Don't waste your time on it, just get a refund or toss it.

#3 EmaWW

EmaWW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the reply and your questions!

The answers:
...did it ever work in any machine? No
Does it have a data/power LED? Does/did it light up at all? Yes, it's lit properly
Same results in other USB ports in same machine? Other machines? Yes

I am looking for some software better than the one in-built in Windows,
which can initialize the flash proprely...

Any Ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

If it's PnP...then it should work out of the box.

Have you tried it on a different system?

At this point, it seems DOA since it doesn't work as intended...IMO.

If Windows recognized it...it is initialized. Ditto for hard drive (won't appear in My Computer initially, but does after initialization/formatting).

Louis

#5 seasonnie

seasonnie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

give this a try I suggest you format it as "NTFS" unless it has to be "seen" from a Fat32 system! Hope would help you solved the USB flash memory' promblem :thumbsup:
You can refer to this link :http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Edited by seasonnie, 11 May 2010 - 03:52 AM.

#6 EmaWW

EmaWW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

I've found that some programs can be installed only on C and D hard drives but not on a USB flashDrive which is properly read by the PC and can be seen as external drive I.

I want to install some of my programs on this USB flash drive and open them on a different PC.

The question is how to set a USB flash drive (8Gb formatted as fat32), so it can be recognised as a proper hard drive like C and D and installing any software on it will be possible?

I’m not a much of techie and a simple to understand instruction is much appreciated .

My PC is running on XP Pro.

Thanks in advance to all who help me with this!

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

Simply speaking, you can't install program (unless it's so called "portable" version) on some removable drive and expect it to work on another computer, because any program, while installing, will write some files, registry entries, etc. to your boot drive, C.

Portable programs, which don't require installation, are listed here: http://portableapps.com/apps

Edited by elise025, 11 June 2010 - 05:29 AM.
Merged two topics ~ Elise

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users