Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

QoS: Quatlity of Service

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:47 PM

Is QoS (Quality of Service) really worth it on a home network?

I enabled it on my Linksys router and gave priority to HTTP and FTP (b/c of my website). And I haven't really noticed anything different on the speeds of anything on my network. Should I leave it on? (it was off by default, but I just recently enabled it)

Just checking... Thank you for any input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

a lot of network professionals i know disable it, technically, Packets and Frames have a "built in" check and balance system for most of the protocols, except for something greasy like TFTP which wont matter anyway. but personally, for me anyway, i have other ways i prefer to "tweak" my network performance and it certainly wont hurt your system. but you may get another opinion. what do you other guys think?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:24 PM

Also another quick question

Since I only have about 5 computers max on my router, would it be wise to turn on "Dynamic Routing?"

The Dynamic Routing feature can be used to automatically adjust to physical changes in the network's layout. The Router uses the dynamic RIP protocol. It determines the route that the network packets take based on the fewest number of hops between the source and the destination. The RIP protocol regularly broadcasts routing information to other routers on the network.

Quoted from my router side help bar.

Also another question:
When we got Roadrunner (cable service provider) we did not get the static IP address (where you pay $5 extra) however our IP is static, it never changes. Why would this be? I've tried resetting the router and cable modem but not luck. Even after power outages, and after they disconnected us when my mom didn't pay the bill and then she did, we still got the same IP address.

Edited by yanowhiz, 22 September 2005 - 08:35 PM.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

nah, more broadcasting will just furthur increase traffic unnecessarily with RIP on your small 5 node network, the internet uses that as a Routing Information Protocol. it is old technology and is good for up to 15 hops (as i remember) , cisco now has other protocols to route information on th net. your lan has nowhere to route, your dsl router acts as a switch to move information between 2 nodes and would not benefit from dynamic routing inside your network.

as far as your ip goes, did you check your router's ip address, or your computers? your ip from your isp should have a TTL (time to live) as you have said, so your routers ip address should change fom time to time ;could be days; but your computers ip will likely stay the same. if you have a static ip form your isp and are worried about it, call your isp and ask them to renew your ip. unless you havr a need for static ip, you should make sure it changes. hope i helped a bit
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:31 PM

as far as your ip goes, did you check your router's ip address, or your computers? your ip from your isp should have a TTL (time to live) as you have said, so your routers ip address should change fom time to time ;could be days; but your computers ip will likely stay the same. if you have a static ip form your isp and are worried about it, call your isp and ask them to renew your ip. unless you havr a need for static ip, you should make sure it changes. hope i helped a bit

Yes the router IP address has never changed. Its still the same thing 24.166.***.***

My computers in my network are all dynamic except for mine. Mine is static. I'm like 108 (that way I'm always the same when we play computer games.)`

Edited by yanowhiz, 22 September 2005 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users