Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype is having a party while I'm away!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

Earlier this morning I opened Skype, signed in as available, and left it standing by without ever using it. Later on, I closed it on the desktop, but I forgot that it stays open and hidden in the system tray.

I came back to the computer a couple of hours later and noticed the Send and Receive LEDs on the cable modem were burning up the information highway. I closed the only open application, MS Word, and it wasn't that. I opened perfmon.exe, the windows resource monitor, and looked at the network tab. You can see the Skype activity in the screenshot:

Anybody recognize that smartbro.net URL or have any idea what may have been going on? I will scan for malware in the meantime.

Posted Image  

Do you think it's likely that someone could have been going through my files? With as many writes as reads, there was a lot of information going upstream.

I have a backup image from two days ago I can restore, but I haven't found any malware. If someone was collecting my stuff, it's too late to do anything about it now. I don't think they could get any important passwords. I never store my banking and bill paying info.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

This is strange....I marked myself as "Offline" then back "Online" and checked the Network like you did. All kinds of weird sites were showing up next to Skype including virginmedia.com, ohio-state.edu, onshore.net, among many others I don't recall.

I know my computer is not infected. Apparently Skype just does this... :flowers:

http://forum.skype.com/topic/18401-weird-i...-on-connection/

I thought Skype only used bandwidth when you were using it... but apparently it connects whenever it wants. Weird... :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

That makes me feel better. I think I will deprive Skype of my voluntary services whenever I'm not using it. No more unattended idle time for it.

Thanks, Ninja. I appreciate the help.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, I hate wasted bandwidth....

Glad to be of service. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer