Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a general consensus on Windows 7, yet?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

It seems that XP was thought pretty highly of. I've always liked it. A great many people hated Vista. I never tried it, so I can't say.

Is there a general consensus on Windows 7, yet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

A quick review of Win7 64-bit
is it really worth upgradeing to windows 7?
Windows 7??
Making the jump from W7 from XP?
W7 Like it or Not?

Plenty of reading material for ya there. :huh:

You can decide for yourself it you think there is a consensus or not. Personally, I love it and will never go back to Vista.

The real question is: can your computer run Windows 7? Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Or are you wanting to get a new computer?

Note: Support is ending for some versions of Windows

Get step by step guidance on how to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

I went from XP-PRO to W7 and I think it was a good choice. It is different but not to hard to get use to. Use Windows web site to choose the one for you. I chose W7 Home Premium 64 but thinking on upgrading to pro.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

It's like anything else...it's better than the predecessors...but some users won't like it because there's a learning/familiarity curve (just as there was with XP).

I have liked every Windows version I've ever used (3.1, 95, 98, 2K, XP, Win 7) because Windows allows a knucklehead like me...to enjoy the benefits of the Age of Computing.

I've found nothing to complain about and I think/know that it's a better O/S than XP, particularly so for all those users who are lax on security and backing up (fundamental concepts for computer users).

The progression continues.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

Just make sure you have the hardware to run Windows 7 before you go out and buy it.

#6 Tymn2012

Tymn2012

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:13 PM

After a couple of snafus initially, Win7 Pro is running beautifully!

I tried a dual-boot with XP and startup took forever, a minimum of 5 minutes. However, when I made Win7 the sole OS, bootup from scratch takes about 1:20 minutes! Awake from Sleep takes about 15-20 seconds! WOW!

In my opinion, Win7 is the BEST OS released by Microsoft since Win2000. It's incredibly fast and user-friendly, for for a tech-head like me who spends hours at a time tweaking Windows (which, not surprisingly, has resulted in a virtually-innate ability on my part to wipe-and-reinstall-everything in my sleep).

I would say that one of my favorite aspects is the fact that Windows now has built-in features that, in XP, previously required a minimum of 10 third-party utilities. It's about time!!

There are still a few compatibility issues with some of my tech applications (jv16 PowerTools 2009, and 2010 Beta5 will not install, for one), but the pros far outway the cons.

:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users