Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard not working during boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BobWahr

BobWahr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FS660/W) that my wife and daughter use. It got pretty infected with virii. I spent some time trying to get it clean and decided that wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS was my best bet. Here's where the fun starts. The keyboard doesn't work during the entire boot process. That means that I can't press a key to boot from the windows CD, or any other boot cd that I've tried*. I also can't get to the BIOS. The keyboard would start working when the windows login screen came up. I used the past tense there because it no longer gets there. I ran malwarebytes on it earlier and now the background pops up for about long enough to see the color and the computer reboots. I am completely stumped as to what to do.

*made a DOS boot disk that worked but the keyboard stayed dead and DOS with no keyboard is nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

Have you tried an external keyboard by any chance?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 BobWahr

BobWahr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

I haven't. I don't have a USB keyboard and the computer doesn't have a PS2 port. In googling the problem though, it seems that a lot of people have had similar problems with USB keyboards so I'm not sure if it will help. I'll take it to the office with me tomorrow to give a USB keyboard a shot.

#4 tango259

tango259

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

Well dude, i'm kinda bumbed to tell ya, but i experienced this myself a couple months ago. you basically need to attach your hard drive to an adapter that has a USB on the other end and plug that into a computer system running linux1** Then copy your documents and the files you need from your hard drive to an external attached to the linux system. then you just have to format your hard drive, reinstall your OS, then put your files back on. it sucks, but it works.

1** Linux is basically immune to viruses and malware and bad stuff like that. saving your files to an external hard drive connected to a linux OS is almost the same thing as a sifter. it gets rid of all of the bad things on there. it sucks to do, slightly time consuming, but it works.

Good luck!!

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

well, what tango is recomended is indeed one resolution, the fact it wont work at boot, is telling me you may have a hardware problem with the keyboard, though not entirely sure. I would try that external keyboard first, if that doesnt work, then try removing the hard drive. If it is a sata hard drive, you do not need an external enclosure, but rather just plug it into a desktop with sata capabilities, and boot up. To be entirely safe, if your comfortable with linux, then that probably would be the best idea. If you dont have another computer to do this, other options is trying a kasparsky rescue CD and seeing if you can boot up off of that, or perhaps a Ubuntu live CD.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users