Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen on XP installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 baltovet

baltovet

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

I purchased a new hard drive to use with a computer built about 6.5 years ago. The computer works now, but takes about 10 minutes to boot and I suspect the hard drive may be the problem. I've decided to remove it and start over with my original Windows XP disc. However, every time I attempt to run the installation, I get a blue screen with the error:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

there are several stop codes listed. I have disconnected all peripherals except the CD/DVD drive which is being used for the installation and the monitor. The memory, video card, sound card, and processor are the same as what is in the computer when it works with the old hard drive. Although the XP disc has been kept in a CD case, it is scratched around the outer part of the disc. I don't know whether this can cause the stop error or not. Hard to understand how the computer works without any blue screens with the old hard drive booting to XP Pro service pack 3, yet when I put in a new, unformatted drive and attempt Windows installation, all I get are blue screens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

System manufacturer and model?

<<...original Windows XP disc...>>

Is that a MS Genuine XP CD you purchased? Is it a CD provided by the manufacturer of your system? Is it a restore/recovery CD provided by the manufacturer of your system?

Does the system boot into safe mode?

You can never enter XP normally?

Do your error messages refer to specific files?

Louis

#3 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

I built the system myself in 2003. I purchased a Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Professional disc at the time I purchased the parts for the computer. It is disc that is labeled "For Distribution With a New PC Only. This is the disc I originally used when I built the system.
The computer works adequately with the original hard drive, which has been upgraded to SP2 and more recently SP3. However, due to various issues and the need to increase storage, I have elected to reinstall my operating system and decided to keep the old drive for data backup and install a brand new, unformatted 1 TB drive to use for the operating system.

As mentioned, all of my hardware works fine with the current components running under XP Pro SP 3.

The ONLY time I get the blue screens is when I am booting from my original XP disc and attempting to install the operating system onto the new drive.
No other changes have been made in any hardware.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

Whats the Stop Error Code numbers?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

In addition to Dan's question...have you considered simply cloning the current drive onto the larger, newer drive?

And...since you have an MS OEM/System Builder CD...you need to ensure that miscellaneous drives are not connected and there are no partitions on this new drive. I would also advise against formatting the drive before you attempt install XP. The XP CD likes to do it all and balks sometimes when users preformat a hard drive.

STOP errors on a new hard drive and with a valid XP CD...would make me think "hardware".

FWIW: You might want to rethink...putting your O/S on that large drive, along with data files, backups, etc. If that drive goes out, you may lose a lot. Controller errors happen every day.

Louis

#6 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

When I attempted the Windows installation on the new drive, I removed the old hard drive, so the only one in there is the one I'm trying to install windows on. I got to the screen where Windows installation asks to format the drive, and when I enter yes, I then get the blue screen.

If it's hardware, why would the system work without getting blue screens with the old drive in there.

Also.........I actually attempted to reinstall windows using the same CD with the original hard drive in the system (before purshasing the larger new drive). I had backed up the hard drive and was going to have Windows format it over and reinstall XP, but I kept getting blue screens just as I am with the new hard drive.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

Is the CD you are using a non-sp1 CD?

If it aint, then you may run into issues. I would try and get my hands on the SATA/RAID Controller drivers and use a floppy to install them via hitting F6.

#8 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

The CD simply says Version 2002. I assume it is SP1 because I don't remember any service pack updates prior to Service Pack 2.
But, once again, why should the SATA/RAID controller drivers be an issue if the computer boots up and works normally with the original hard drive running SP3. It is the same hardware that was in the computer when it was built using the same disc I am having issues with installing.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

Can you provide us with the motherboard of the computer?

#10 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

Motherboard is MSI 865PE FIS2R (socket 478)
Processor is Pentium 4 3.2GHz

BTW.............I brought the computer home and tried again with the same disk. The only difference was that it was hooked up to a different monitor (both are Viewsonic flat screens) It is now formatting the hard drive (41% finished) so it's past the point where I got the blue screens before.
Absolutely no explanation for this. Everything else is the same except for the wall receptacle.

I'm still nervous I won't get through the full installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users