Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Mcafee and your preparation process

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 psycoma

psycoma

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

I posted this question already but I think that the intention was misunderstood and the topic was closed without an answer being given, so I will attempt to ask it again.

After downloading and running the programs required by you in preparation of posting a help request, My Mcafee icons from both the system tray and my desktop have disappeared.

In response to my question of why, one of your helpers indicated that now that I have posted my logs, I should make no further changes to my system. PLEASE BE AWARE I have made no changes on my own to my system since creating and posting the logs for your helpers to review. Nor am I attempting to circumvent the wait process by posting another thread. I understand that I have a place in line and I have no problem waiting for my turn. My question is simply did the steps that I took to prepare my system for help with your volunteers cause my anti-virus to be disabled and/or the icons to be removed from my system tray and desktop?

I understand that the wait times are long and that ya'll are doing this during whatever free time you may have and i'm not trying to rush anybody into resolving my issue. It is WITH this understanding that I'd like a reply as to whether or not my system is now MORE vulnerable because my anti-virus program seems to have gone on holiday and I am currently (seemingly) without any real-time protection.

Sticking to what 'Animal' said about not making any changes to my system until a helper has the opportunity to review my logs and give further instructions, I am hesitant to go into my program files and manually restart Mcafee.

AGAIN PLEASE NOTE! I am not trying to line jump, just asking whether or not my system is now vulnerable based upon the actions I have thus far taken at your direction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

My apologies if my reply was not clear.

Restarting McAfee if the log you created didn't have it on, is considered making a change. That is the point of that post I made to you. Changing the status of antimalware and antivirus tools from their status of when the log created invalidates the log posted. The person who reviews the log sees McAfee off and offers you a potential fix with that scenario in mind. But when you run the fix it doesn't work because now McAfee is on. Then the confusion ensues.

I am not a trained malware expert to where I can look at your log and say with any certainty that a step in our preparatory instructions turned off McAfee in your case. I can say with reasonable confidence that that is not an issue that we have dealt with any regularity with other members who have posted logs that use McAfee. This would tell me that there is a high probability that whatever malware you may be dealing with is turning it off. Only a trained malware team member who will be working with you, will be able to answer your question of what is turning off McAfee with any degree of certainty.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 psycoma

psycoma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for getting back to me about this, I know you guys are swamped (just seeing that my post from just a couple hours ago is well off the first page is evidence of that) so I appreciate the time you're taking to help.

As far as I know, mcafee was still on and running at the start of my preparations for posting to this site so i'm going to turn it back on since i'm fairly certain it was only gone after the hard reboot (lockup of computer and EI after scanning and log creation but before posting of logs to website).

Thanks again for the help :thumbsup:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

You're welcome, and again sorry for the confusion.

With regards to which page you are on in the forums page listing that is not quite relevant for the malware team and why it is important to abide by the no bumping guideline. We have an application for staff and malware team that lists only open and unreplied to logs. This eliminates wading through the logs page by page that are being currently worked by our staff and helpers. Makes it much easier to find the 'next log in line'.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users