Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Subnetting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:34 AM

Hey Everyone,

I Now Plan To *Divide* Our Network Into To Subnets. One Will Keep The Old 10.75.32.X, While The New Subnet Will Get The 10.75.34.X. My Main Problem Is How To Set Up The Subnetting. I Have Used A Test Machine And A Ton Of "Network Caculators", But When I Manually Enter In The New 10.75.34.X IP, With The Subnets The Network Calculators Come Up With, The Test Machine Cannot Connect To The Internet Or Connect To The Network Servers. Here Are The IP Details At The Moment:

10.75.32.X = 255.255.255.0

And I Need Help On The New Subnet:

10.75.34.X = ?.?.?.?

What Subnet Numbers Do I Have To Enter In To Connect To The Servers And To The Internet?

Milzee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:06 AM

Have you thought about having two workgroups instead? Are you going to have two routers? If you do make sure one is set as Gateway and the second is set as Router(see the routers config page).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 milzee

milzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

The ADSL Modem That Is Running Here Only Supports One DHCP - I Would Rather Just Manually Enter In IP Of Those Systems. So Can You Help Me Get A Computer In The 10.75.34.X Range And Still Be Able To Connect To The Servers & The Modem On The 10.75.32.X Range?

Milzee

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:21 PM

The problem you will have is the modem/router need to have all of the computers on the same subnet mask. The LAN IP address will need the same subnet as the router. Also if you are going to use static LAN IP addresses you will also need to specify DNS addresses. These should be list on your routers menu asigned from your ISP. You specity 1 to 3 in the network properties of each computer. You could setup your own DNS server, but it would be one more problems. Someone more knowledgable may not how to work around the subnet mask on a low end router without a second router, I just don't know how.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 milzee

milzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:30 AM

On The New "Proposed" Subnet (The 10.75.34.X One) There Will Be A Windows NT4 Server Mainly For File Hosting. It Will Be Upgraded Shortly To Windows 2k Advanced Server, But For Now Im Fine With NT. Anyway I Installed The DHCP Service. I Put In The Same New IP Range (10.75.34.X) In The Scope, Then Hit Activate. Then I Went To My Test Machine And Tried To Get A New IP From That Server But XP Says No IP Was Assigned.

The File Server Which Has The DHCP Server Installed Has The IP Of 10.75.32.111, And The Subnet Mask Of 255.255.255.0. Can That Server Send Out IP's Of 10.75.34.X?

Milzee

#6 FXEF

FXEF

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:09 AM

On The New "Proposed" Subnet (The 10.75.34.X One) There Will Be A Windows NT4 Server Mainly For File Hosting. It Will Be Upgraded Shortly To Windows 2k Advanced Server, But For Now Im Fine With NT. Anyway I Installed The DHCP Service. I Put In The Same New IP Range (10.75.34.X) In The Scope, Then Hit Activate. Then I Went To My Test Machine And Tried To Get A New IP From That Server But XP Says No IP Was Assigned.

The File Server Which Has The DHCP Server Installed Has The IP Of 10.75.32.111, And The Subnet Mask Of 255.255.255.0. Can That Server Send Out IP's Of 10.75.34.X?

Milzee

Milzee,

Not really sure what you're trying to do, but the DHCP server you have (with subnet 255.255.255.0) will only assign IPs from 10.75.32.1 to 10.75.32.255.

I don't know much about subnetting as I run a simple home network, but the subnet determines the IP range. A subnet of 255.255.0.0 may let the DHCP server assign more IPs. You need to read the manual on Subnetting.

FXEF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users