Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DeskJet 5650 and a specific PDF printing issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BR0ck94

BR0ck94

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

XP Pro w SP3, HP DeskJet 5650, Adobe Reader 9.2, a PDF file from a specific contact

User reports that when she prints an attachment (4 page PDF document), she gets 3 blank pages and 1 good page. The 1 good page is the last page of the document which happens to be just a scanned photo.

This only happens when she prints to her local USB attached HP DeskJet 5650 printer. She can send this job to a network printer and it prints OK.

Steps I've taken in attempt to resolve:

Uninstalled the local printer, downloaded the most recent drivers from HP Support site, re-installed the printer using the latest drivers
Updated Adobe Reader from v8 to v9.2

Had the user swap out her HP DeskJet 5650 with another printer, same model. Windows detected the different printer and installed it as
"HP 5600 Series (copy 1)"

The different printer had the same problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

Have you taken a look in services...to see if appropriate services related to printing are running...and miscellaneous/uninstalled printer services are not?

The fact that the second printer installed as a "copy"...indicates that the old printer is still recognized, IME.

Did you uninstall all the software which accompanies each printer installation, using Add/Remove Programs?

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:20 AM

Unplug the printer remove all HP Software using Revo Uninstaller and reinstall the drivers.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

Also, has she tried printing a different document? It may not be a problem with the printer itself, but with the document being printed. Just a thought....it's the obvious thing to try.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 BR0ck94

BR0ck94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

Thank you for the tips. I deleted the HP printer from the system and used the Revo Uninstaller to uninstall HP items in ADD / Remove programs.
I also ran CCleaner to clean the temporary & cache files.

The ODD thing about this is that the printer works fine with printing all other PDF files and other documents. The problem PDF file does print fine, both when you select another printer or when other users print this file from different computers.

In other words, the problem is specific to this system only, this printer only, and this one particular PDF file only.

Well that's not 100% true, the user reports that his happens every time that she receives a PDF file from one particular customer that is sending them.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

Well, it seems like you've answered your own question. There has to be something about those PDF's being received from that particular customer that that specific printer doesn't like.

In my personal opinion, there are too many variables here for us to determine what is the root cause. If anybody else has any better ideas, feel free to share them, but as far as I am concerned, this is an unsolvable problem.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 BR0ck94

BR0ck94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

Thanks again, and I do agree with you keyboardNinja