Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer has a problem I can't put my finger on

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tiber12

Tiber12

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

My laptop has been acting up over the past few weeks with little to no explanation. I run Windows Vista, Service Pack 2 and everything. I have had Windows Defender as a firewall, but recently (after finally getting Automatic Updates to work) I installed Zonealarm. I also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and AVG Anti-Virus.

The problem is vague, and I can't even be sure it's caused by any malignant software. As I mentioned, Automatic Updates used to fail quite frequently, causing the whole system to freeze and then crash, and for the longest time I couldn't get either Service Packs installed. It generally runs slow and it freezes randomly, most of the time when using Firefox with multiple tabs open. However the computer has 2 gigs worth of RAM so I'm not sure why this would be a problem. It doesn't seem to be overheating. And I've run AVG virus scans and Malwarebytes numerous times to no avail. Though once, Malwarebytes did find a backdoor.bot but it was deleted. The problems still remain.

I've tried some of the recommended tricks such as defragging the drive, uninstalling suspect programs, and blocking unnecessary startups. But nothing has worked. Even now the computer is lagging as I type. I'm at a loss, and I feel like it's on the cusp of crashing any day now. Please help.

Thanks,
BJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tiber12

Tiber12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

So I know we are not supposed to bump these topics, but my computer problem is getting worse and I fear that if it goes, I won't be able to access the internet any more. Its restarting randomly, programs (like firefox) get stuck in running mode though I can't "end task" it with the task manager, various programs freeze (like deleting files..!) Any suggestions other than taking a sledgehammer to the stupid thing would be greatly appreciated.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:58 AM

Sorry your original post was missed.

Please run a quick scan with Malwarebytes and post the log.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Tiber12

Tiber12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Thank you so much.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4052

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005

5/3/2010 11:06:15 AM
mbam-log-2010-05-03 (11-06-15).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 119161
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Tiber12

Tiber12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

Here is the log it generated. Seems it did get rid of some stuff.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 05/06/2010 at 05:55 PM

Application Version : 4.36.1006

Core Rules Database Version : 4898
Trace Rules Database Version: 2710

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:43:04

Memory items scanned : 271
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6097
Registry threats detected : 5
File items scanned : 151186
File threats detected : 19

Adware.Zango/ShoppingReport
HKCR\WeatherDPA.WeatherController
HKCR\WeatherDPA.WeatherController\CLSID
HKCR\WeatherDPA.WeatherController\CurVer
HKCR\WeatherDPA.WeatherController.1
HKCR\WeatherDPA.WeatherController.1\CLSID

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@2o7[2].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@ad.wsod[2].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@ads.as4x.tmcs.ticketmaster[1].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@advertising[1].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@apmebf[1].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@atdmt[1].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@burstnet[1].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@fastclick[2].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@imrworldwide[2].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@media6degrees[2].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@roiservice[1].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@server.iad.liveperson[2].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@server.iad.liveperson[3].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@statcounter[1].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@statse.webtrendslive[2].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@www.burstbeacon[1].txt
C:\Users\Bryanna\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\bryanna@www.burstnet[2].txt

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

Download this file and save it to your desktop:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

Double-click the file to run it. A command window will open briefly. Then run another quick scan with Malwarebytes. Post the Malwarebytes log.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Tiber12

Tiber12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4073

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005

5/6/2010 10:39:36 PM
mbam-log-2010-05-06 (22-39-36).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 119788
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

How's your computer running now?

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Tiber12

Tiber12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

At first glance certain things seemed to have inexplicably fixed themselves, specifically the fact that Zonealarm was denying Firefox access to the internet without telling me, so the program wouldn't even connect. Now it does, however Firefox is still acting strange. Twice now I've tried posting this using Firefox and the browser froze and I ended up doing a cold reboot.

This is what happens.
Firefox freezes, goes into its Not Responding mode, I hit control alt delete, it doesn't do anything. The screen goes black and a text box (that looks like a windows 2000 box instead of Vista) titled "Logon Process has failed to create the security options dialog" "Failure - Security Options"
I press OK, it returns to the desktop but nothing works.
Power button.
Most of the time it goes to the checkdisk screen to check for consistencies. When it boots back up everything works fine at first, until Firfox shuts down again.
The problem seems obvious to me, that I should uninstall Firefox. Well, I've done that before, and the problems still arise.

Internet Explorer isn't free of these issues either, but it seems to plow through them instead of crash the whole computer. It goes into Not Responding mode, and freezes for a while, I get up to do something, then it starts working again.
Most recently (the last time I rebooted) it started back up with a textbox saying the WLAN card had to be shut down. I don't get what's going on.

Sometimes when I try to restart the computer, or just shut it down for the night, one of the components of Zonealarm, called Force Field, gets stuck and the computer won't reboot until I give it permission to close the program.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox and Zonealarm to see if that helps.

Make sure you backup your Firefox bookmarks first.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Tiber12

Tiber12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hello again. I have actually tried uninstalling Firefox before but then the problem seems to appear in Internet Explorer as well. I uninstalled Zonealarm (and its counterpart Forcefield which was preventing it from restarting) and it worked fine for several days. Then last night, out of nowhere it went to a blue screen telling me it was doing a memory dump blah blah. Then I wake up this morning and it does the same "works for a few minutes" then freezes. I am now typing this in Safe Mode with networking.

I can't figure out if this is a software/maleware problem or if its hardware. Could it be insufficient memory?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users