Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem connecting to (recognized) unsecured wireless network?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scro6991

scro6991

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hi,
I just got an older IBM Thinkpad T40 (2374) that came with Windows XP installed (I think Svc pack 2)

There is wireless capability installed in the machine, and when I look in properties it's a Cisco PCI wireless LAN adapter. The person that gave me the machine has no issues accessing and getting on wireless networks, all in range are recognized, and wireless indicator on machine is working fine, etc.

I connect to an unsecured wireless network (NETGEAR) with other laptops with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
This is not the case, however, with the Thinkpad. As with the others, it recognizes all networks in range, seems to be working as normal......until I go to connect to the network. At this point, it just constantly says "connecting to the network" for a minute and then never connects.

I've messed around with the network connection properties, etc. and tried to mirror my other laptops, but still no luck. Can anyone help? Any suggestions on what the problem is? I initially thought the wireless card installed had issues, but I've seen it work fine on others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

is your "open" network actually filtering by mac address or something.
if the thing works on other networks just not this network i would check the router.

#3 scro6991

scro6991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

Unless I'm wrong on what you're referring to........when i am in properties, network connections.....I have it set as "open" and "disabled" I believe, seeing the network is unsecured and not password protected. Can you clarify the question a bit more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users