Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the ultimate question lol

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moony

moony

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:11 AM

ok here is a question that i bet 100's of parents would like to know the answer to.
my two 17 month old twins keep turning my pc off using the button on the tower and they keep opening my disk draw, i have managed to place a pices of cardboard over the on/off button and that seams to have stopped them turning it off but i cant lace anything over the button to open the disk draw so the can still open that, and try and climb into it lol,,,,so here is the question,,is there any way at all to disable the 2 buttons on the tower (or just the one for the disk draw) so that i can just use the eject option in my computer>d:drive.
i know this may sound like a stupid question and that some of you will laugh and say just move the tower but because of the space and power points ect that is not possable. so is there a way.......one for you computer wizzards to ponder over lol

thanks for any help you can give

moony

ps im using windows xp home and its a dell pc if thats any help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hi moony,

Find power options in the control panel area. Click the advanced tab at the top of the window that opens and you should see an area called Power buttons. You can use that to set the power button to "do nothing" when pressed. (It's in the drop down box)

The only problem I can foresee with that is the need to power off. If a program hangs, you may have to cut the computer off with your power strip. Some computers will allowed a "forced off" after holding the power button for over 5 seconds.

The CD???? I don't have an answer for that. Sorry

Hope this helps some,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

You can get a remore controlled shock collar at your local petsmart which should have the affect of teaching the little miscreant to keep its hands off the computer!

Seriously, kids must learn that certain things are off limits - like the stove - a pool if you have one accessable to them, sharp instruments, etc, ....and of course, electrical appliances and above all, the computer!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:26 AM

Ah...the joys of parenthood...welcome to the hood. :thumbsup:

It could be worse, I don't remeber what the TV add was about, but there was this kid who managed to insert a penutbutter sandwich into a VCRs slot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:25 AM

I am lucky, because my case has a lockable door over the buttons and drives. Have you considered a computer desk with a lockable drawer for the computer case? Given the proper amount of air circulation, a side drawer that would hold the case would keep it completely away from busy, inquisitive hands, as well as hiding the sensitive wires in the back which young children seem to love to pull out and put in their mouths.
O'Sullivan has several models that might be the solution to your problems; see some of the various models here:

http://www.ifurn.com/Computer+Desks.html

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 23 September 2005 - 01:26 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:57 AM

hi all

thank you very much for your help, RIGEL i have turned the power option off and its working a treat, my pc is staying on longer than 2 seconds lol i will keep checking to see if there is a way to do the cd draw too thanks again :thumbsup:....ENTHUSIAST like your idea but its a bit harsh lol.......DC3 shhhhh dont tell my kids that lol.........JGWEED i never give it a thought to get a new desk with a lockable draw (doh) unfortunatly the site is an american site and i live in england so the shiping would be to expensive but i will either get a friend i know over there to ship it (might be cheaper) or i will look over here for one, but great site thanks :flowers:

again thank you all for you advice

moony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users