Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a virus be hiding as a driver for unknown device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kmaan

kmaan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:43 AM

I have been dabbling with a very weird problem since a month back. I can not find a solution to it and it is playing with my laptop ever since

I have acer aspire 4720 running vista home premium.

My problem started when window requested to download and install a driver without indicating the type or the location. I gave the ok and as soon as download

started my Bitdefender total security 2009 interceded and blocked the download this was the first and the last time BD reacted to repeated request and without

permission from me or user account control the download and installation proceeded. Despite the notice popped up by window saying the driver could not be

installed due to lack or resource etc. When I looked at Device manager I saw in the network adapter an entry to unknown device.I looked at the driver
property and it seems to be unknown in name, manufacture and without reference to files for location,however under details it was listed as sw_BDFNDISFMP
and looking for under device instant path it show as Root\ sw_BDfndisfmp\0013. The number 0013 changes to 000 or 0014 every time the darn thing is downloaded without even knowing about it. This only happen just after starting window. When this happens vista becomes very slow to launch any programs or files and at times window explorer freezes. It will take like 5 minutes before system improves a little for me to access Device Manager to uninstall the darn thing and sometime it takes several attempts to get it off?
I am lost and can not tell whether it is a malfunction of hardware or a virus?
I have run BD, malwarebytes,and trojan remover but no virus was detected
I used hjthis but could not tell any thing wrong?
I am not a computer wizard and please I need help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:16 AM

sw_BDfndisfmp seems to be related to bitdefender firewall

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-softwa...a-internet.html

#3 kmaan

kmaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

Thank you Trollocks for your input but the thread you refer to does not apply to my situation as i have no problem with acessing my router connecting to the net,and my BD total security suit 2009 is working fine with all the necessary drivers (Family of sw_BDfndisfmp) four in totaland up to date, showing up in device manager under network adapter are all working fine,further more my laptop works well except when the mysterious driver for unknown device shows under network adapter and sometimes it will appear under disk drive as MMC s torage?Only then vista (window explorer ) becomes none responsive in launching items from desk top or accessing start ?
For this behavior I began to think that it could be a virus? I hope for some more insights please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users