Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI slots don't seem to work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpiderWaffle

SpiderWaffle

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:17 AM

I'm pretty sure my PCI slots don't work. I've tried installing 3 different PCI cards into all 3 of them and none of them are ever detected and I can't install their drivers. Two of cards worked on old systems and 1 is brand new. Are my PCI slots most likely broken? How can I tell if it's a hardware or software issue.

I have a ABIT IP35 motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

Go into BIOS, reset to "failsafe defaults", check again.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 SpiderWaffle

SpiderWaffle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:07 AM

So I tried that and my mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. Had to reset the cmos, why would the bios be configured to make your PCI slots not work after a cmos reset and the fail safe defaults would? But I guess it also doesn't make sense that the "fail safe" defaults fail to get my mouse and keyboard working.

On another forum someone inquired about irq conflicts, I checked under the device manager and it didn't show any errors, I'm not how it would show me one if there was though. I'm on XP pro SP3.

Edited by SpiderWaffle, 18 April 2010 - 06:15 AM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

I found 3 versions of that board, before building a system or even ordering a motherboard I would usually download and read the manual, after a few builds and several years you start to get a feel for all the advanced settings in the bios's for these advanced motherboards.

Know thy bios

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/do...es/download.gif
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users