Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

Not sure where this topic belongs...

I have an almost new 'emachines' laptop, running Vista. It was working fine, and I was using it to download programs as suggested in the forums here, then transferring them to my desktop which was (and still slightly is) sick. However, after I downloaded 'gmer', and accidentally caused it to run (in fact, due to the mousepad's excessive sensitivity, I think I triggered it twice) while trying to unzip it (so I could copy it for transfer to the other unit), my laptop froze, would not shut down, and so I had to let it on until the battery ran out. Then, after hooking up the AC power, it would not turn on. The blue LCD beneath the power-on button comes on, but nothing happens when I turn it on. What can I do? This unit is extremely important for me, as I use it at work daily.
Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:27 AM

I don't have a solution to your problem, but GMER is a diagnostic program. It doesn't make any changes, so even, if you ran it, it couldn't do anything to your computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

I hear you Broni, ..... you ol' Pooh-lover, you...

but then.....what could have caused the problem? Could there have been another underlying problem (malware, trojans, etc. etc..._) that gmer 'irritated'? Could accidentally triggering it twice ( as seems to have happened) have caused a problem and 'overloaded' the system? Don't get upset, but it's all well and good to say "...it couldn't have caused any problems...", but my laptop was fine before I downloaded it and ran it, and now it is virtually dead... To say that something "couldn't" do something is, however well-intended, an assumption, given the variables at hand.. and also given the very nature of this site as a "long-distance diagnostic" entity, and therefore such a statement is not the most solid basis for moving forward on a restorative plan...

I truly appreciate your interest in the topic, and can only say, sincerely, that I hope you will not retaliate to this post by becoming emotionally defensive and having the thread closed...I would be extremely grateful for some some specific, procedural-type suggestions to get this unit up and running again... :huh:

Edited by PGHinBKK, 14 April 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Is it still under warranty?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

you ol' Pooh-lover, you...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I assume, you downloaded GMER for a reason...suspected infection?

If so....

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

Since your computer is not bootable and you can't provide any prescribed logs, simply say so in your initial post in malware forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:15 AM

cryptodan,
It probably is, as it was purchased by my wife as a birthday present just last November, but I live in Thailand, and attempting to get ANY kind of quality, professional work done here, especially in technical areas, is a nightmare...I'll try to get it up and running with suggestions from here...but if all else fails, I'll try to take it in, somewhere. Another problem, however, is that I relocated last month from Bangkok (where it was purchased) to a city several hundred miles away. But I'll cross that klong when I come to it...lol...

Broni,
Thanks for the quick response. :huh:

I assume, you downloaded GMER for a reason...suspected infection?

Yes, as I mentioned in my post, I was using it to download anti-malware and diagnostic programs for transfer to and use in my desktop...that was the patient, the laptop was merely the ambulance....

If so....

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

Since your computer is not bootable and you can't provide any prescribed logs, simply say so in your initial post in malware forum.

This confuses me for two reasons...

One, as you said it is not bootable, so I cannot run DDS and hence cannot post a DDS log.
Without that, I'm worried that someone will bump the topic out of that forum, since I cannot 'prove' that it is/was malware causing the problem...

Two, I can open a thread in the malware removal forum, but I'm worried that if I do that, Orange Blossom will do what she did when I followed similar instructions regarding starting a thread and then returning to the original one, as you did here...she closed it "to avoid confusion", ignoring the fact that I was following procedures requested by a BC advisor...and the DDS log (from my desktop) I posted on the 11th still has not been analyzed...

I'd be happy to open a thread in the malware removal forum, then come back to this one to let you know it was started, but how can I keep this one open in the face of such determined "housekeeping"?

"Barkeep! a jar of your best honey for the bear at the end of the bar......put it on my tab...."

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:22 AM

I'll report it to unbootable computers thread.
Someone will post back here.
Hold tight.
Considering, it's late night here, it may happen in the morning.

Edit: someone reported it already.
Threads like your are priorities, so just be patient.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:05 AM

Hello PGHinBKK,

I see you have an active topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1703917

Please let me know if this is about the same computer. I figure its not, but I might be wrong :huh:

No guarantees we can get your laptop up and running again, but we can at least try.

Can you please let me know if you still have monitor input (i.e. do you see something on the laptop screen when you turn it on?).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#9 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

Elise, (and all others who have been kind enough to respond to this thread), it is now up again. I recharged it, let it run down again, and then recharged it once more, and voila! it seems to be running....however, it must have the same virus or gremlin that the desktop has, as I cannot access my 'D' drive with the internet explorer, and I get a message saying that the 'function was not found'.....this didn't happen before I downloaded the programs to try and fix my desktop. When it was in its 'coma' state, it had NO screen output...just a black screen, with the only sign of life being the power-button LED...

This laptop unit was literally virgin with regards to the 'net until I began using it to try and get the programs requested to help fix my desktop. But since it (laptop) is now at least 90% usable, I will put this one on the back burner for now and focus on getting the desktop up to full-speed again.

...and Elise, no, the "trojan causing wi-fi cutoff" was happening on the desktop...I mentioned in the thread that I was using the laptop to just download and then ferry programs to the desktop via CDs or flashdrive...but I followed the suggestion in the FAQ-thread about downloading a-squared malware, and that cleared up abut 80% of the problems......I now just want to get the rest of it straightened out, as it is still slow, windows still freezes frequently (requiring a re-boot each time, and a prayer that the ISP will grant me a connection that doesn't drop in the first 5 minutes) and the 'D' drive is still being held hostage...

Thanks for your time. :huh:

Edited by PGHinBKK, 20 April 2010 - 07:57 AM.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

I am glad to hear that :huh:

Best is to ask schrauber what to do with this computer (i.e. keep it disconnected from the other one).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#11 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:01 AM

Elise, I will.....I just hope he doesn't get upset about the somewhat disappointed tone of my reply to him. BTW, the two units are not 'connected...I was having to switch the wi-fi connection from one to the other...Right now I am using the desktop and it seems to be OK, but so far today the ISP connection has dropped 4 times, and windows has frozen 3......such fun...:huh: !! Such is life here in the Big Mango!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users