Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which laptop should I purchase? Quick reply appreciated

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 92alexheat

92alexheat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

I will be needing a new laptop for college and will no longer be using a desktop PC. I will probably be using a lot of programs at once and will use it a lot storing music and watching movies. I possibly may play a game or to in the future like Call of Duty or something like that. I hope to not spend more than $1100.

I'm looking at two laptops currently. You can recommend others if you want.
Dell Studio Laptop $999.99
# Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor
Features a 6MB cache and 1.6GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz.
# 4GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
# Blu-ray Disc-enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Features read support for next-generation Blu-ray Disc.
# 17.3" bright LED high-definition plus display
With TrueLife technology showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
# 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
# ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphics
Features 1GB dedicated video memory for lush images. HDMI output for connecting to an HDTV. Built-in stereo speakers with JBL and SRS Premium Surround support.
# Built-in 2.0MP webcam
# 8-in-1 media reader
Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital Input/Output, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD-Picture Card, High Speed Secure Digital and Secure Digital High Capacity formats.
# 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
# Built-in Dell 1520 wireless LAN card
# Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
# Weighs 7.6 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin
# 9 cell lithium battery. Of up to 4 hours and 28 minutes
# Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit

Sony VAIO F series $1137 with 4gb ram & 1249.99 with 6gb ram(IS THIS A SIGNIFICANT OR IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE?)
# Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor
Features a 6MB L3 cache and 1.6GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz.
# 4GB or 6GH DDR3 memory(SEE PRICE DIFF ABOVE)
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
# Blu-ray Disc-enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Features read support for next-generation Blu-ray Disc (BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE). Double-layer support using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media. Also supports DVD-RAM.
# 16.4" widescreen display
With 1600 x 900 resolution
# 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
# NVIDIA GeForce 310M GPU
Features 512MB dedicated video memory and 3319MB total available graphics memory. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV. Intel® High Definition Audio support with Dolby Home Theater v3.
# Built-in MOTION EYE webcam
With microphone and face-tracking technology makes it easy to video chat with and send video mail to family and friends.
# Multiformat media reader
Supports Memory Stick PRO and Memory Stick PRO Duo formats with MagicGate functionality. Also features a Secure Digital card slot.
# i.LINK (IEEE 1394) port and 2 USB 2.0 ports
For digital data transfer and mobile digital imaging capabilities.
# Built-in wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
# Built-in stereo A2DP Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) interface
To easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
# Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T Fast Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
# Weighs 6.9 lbs. and measures just 1.6" thin
For portable power.
# Backlit Keyboard
# 6 cell lithium battery Of up to 4 hours
# Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system

Which is the better overall deal? Which is the better laptop? Which do you recommend? Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:44 AM

Well, if I had the choice I would take the Vaio, more or less becuase I like the Nvidia card in it better. Thier doesn't seem to be much major difference other than cosmetic. (And again vid card) I personally also like that the Vaio has bluetooth but I don't know if you will be using it much at all. I also like how the Vaio is lighter. I hate heavy laptops.

But for your usage it seems that either one will do very well, the i7 on both of them will be a multitasking dream. I've run many intensive programs with my i7 and haven't had any hiccups or slow downs. Of course with the 6GB model you can be running more programs at once but in 99% of cases you won't be exceeding 4GB, and even if you do it will extend to virtual memory. Looks like both of them have a BluRay in them so you don't worry about your disk formats if your playing lots of movies. However the Dell does have a larger screen, so you might like that more with your movies.

It looks like both of these would be able to play Call of Duty and then some. You should be good in this field for a couple of years.

You should be good to go on the music storage unless you find a way to occupy 500GB, I was never able to do it but then again I clean my system out quite frequently.

Again if I had the choice I would take the Vaio, but for budget wise, thier almost the same in terms of capability and the Dell is a little more than $100 cheeper. (or $250 if your talking about the 6GB Vaio)

Hope this helps!

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 14 April 2010 - 06:46 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

The Geforce 310M is equivalent (marginally better) to a 210M.
The HD 4650 GPU is way better!

If you are looking for a blend of performance and value, the Dell Studio is your best bet!
You could further customize it to meet your needs.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 14 April 2010 - 08:06 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users