Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DrWeb CureIt

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to download DrWeb CureIt for the last couple of hours and cannot do so.

I go to freedrweb.com/cureit/, click on the free download button, it goes to the license agreement, I check the box to accept it, click on continue, it goes to the page that says your download will begin shortly, I tell the IE security bar to allow the download, and then it just loops me back to the main page without ever downloading the program or even bringing up the box to choose run or save.

I had someone else try downloading it on their computer, they were able to do so without any problem, but I cannot get it to wok.

As usual, I do not believe I have any infections, I have no symptoms of infection and have current antivirus protection and have very recently scanned with Malwarebytes. I am able to go to the site, download the ISO file for the live CD without any problems. I can download the same program from CNET, but don't want to as it appears to be outdated according to the comments, and it also has a funky name for the download so I do not trust it 100%. I can go to Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and download those programs without any problem. I can even download Gmer and RootRepeal without any problems, but I cannot download the only one of those programs that I am wanting at the moment, which is DrWeb CureIt.

Has this happened to any of you?

Does anyone know what my problem with downloading this particular program might be?

Thank you for any insight you can give me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

I seem to recall this happening to other people. I think it is an issue with their website where there are periods of time when the download is not available.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

DrWeb Cureit has the weirdest download/install I have ever seen really sometimes I have trouble with it as well my only suggestion for now is to just try to download it from a different browser. I wish they would just make it a regular install/update program that you can keep going back to instead of always having to run a new one.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

I wish they would just make it a regular install/update program that you can keep going back to instead of always having to run a new one.

That it is a stand-alone program and does not require installation has great benefits when dealing with heavily infected computers.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

You should try to download last beta with more features
http://beta.drweb.com/files/?p=cureit&t=d

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

On betas.. let me quote one of our Global Mpderators~~jgweed

Well, there are betas and then there are betas. For example, Google betas are more like works in progress (where initial functionality is there, but they add features and enhancements), but other betas are strictly out there for user testing.
The latter present problems for the average user, since they may contain bugs or require some computer knowledge to get them to work properly.

I always carefully read the release notes to determine how "buggy" the beta is.

I would NEVER recommend a beta release for mission-critical processes or tasks(like an AV, for example). If I see a recommendation for a Beta, I always reply with a caution to our Members about relying on it or expecting it to work flawlessly.
Cheers,
John

I seldom recommend using betas of any programs. You never know what bugs and quirks might turn up that could affect your system and then you have to waste time getting things straightened out.

-------------------------------------------------------
Please note that this program is a pre-release beta version of a product and not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability.

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware that UITS will not have thoroughly tested beta software, nor will the software be guaranteed by its maker, so you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the responses.

Budapest, thank you for letting me know that. I was thinking the same thing about maybe the download was just not available at that moment, or hours lol, but I called my dad and had him try it at the same time that I was trying it and he had no problem doing it while I did. We are in the same city and same ISP, both using IE so that only made me more confused. (No, it isn't hard to confuse me)

Jd, thank you for letting me know that you had trouble with it too. I thought about trying another browser but since I would have to install one to use it, I did not do it.

Webdr, thank you for the suggestion, but I am leary of things that are in beta.

This is a lot of frustration to go through when I do not personally need the program to get rid of malware on my system. I am just trying to help someone else clean up their system and thought it would be a good idea to run the program first and familiarize myself with it in case it is needed on this other system as further help from me will probably be on the telephone. I guess I will just keep hoping that the programs we ran last night took care of the problem.

I am going to keep trying to download it, it has now almost become my mission of the moment to get that program to download. I will win this fight...even if I don't need the prize, lol.

If anyone has any other experiences of thoughts they would like to share, I would appreciate hearing (reading) them.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your help

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

I download from their FTP : ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/cureit.exe

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

Romeo, as usual, you are way too awesome.

Thank you very much.

I kept trying their site last night and at one point, I did get it to start to download but it said it was going to take way over an hour to do so and I could tell by the way it was downloading that the time frame it said was probably what it was going to be, and since I knew that was not right, I cancelled it intending to try it later. When I tried today, it did the same thing that I described initially. Just to show how not right that way over an hour download time was, I just downloaded it from your link in about a minute.

Thank you again you awesome person :thumbsup:

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hehe you are welcome Stang777.
I learned it a long time ago that all these big software corporations have public FTP access from where you can download updates, patches, manuals and new and older versions of software way faster :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users