Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I upgrade from XP Home to XP Professional

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

I just did a fresh install using my Toshiba Recovery disk. It took me back to XP Home. Last year, I had a friend who upgraded to Pro on my laptop. My backups are based on the "Ntbackup.msi" utility which was part of Pro. I am trying to restore my last backup and find that I can't without the XP Home disk (which of course was not included with my new laptop six years ago). I thought that if I had the Pro I could add the backup utility. Somehow, that does not seem to exist on the Pro disk as far as I can see. I have searched the disk and do not find that file. I would like to restore and maybe there is another work around. Any help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

No need to install XP Pro.

The backup utility on the Pro disk...is the same one that's available to Home users via download.

WindowsXP Tips, Installing NTBackup on XP Home - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm. Scroll down to Installing the Backup Programs...

Using NTBackup in XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

Louis

#3 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

Somehow, I just knew that you would be "johnny on the spot" and dead on with help. Thank you, Louis. I know now that I do not need to upgrade to Pro in order to restore. However, since I have purchased the XP Pro OS, can I use it to upgrade? Is there any advantage? Disadvantages?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

XP Home is more for the regular user like web surfing, email checker, and the like.

XP Pro is more for the office user and power users who like to tinker with things.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:43 PM

If you decide to install XP Pro...just make sure it's a clean install where you delete the current XP Home partition first.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users