Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No MOBO beep, no POST, no display

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Caspersim

Caspersim

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

Cant figure this out...Pc doesn't boot, no POST, no MOBO beeps, nothing....then I hit the reset button on the case (which only seems to work about half the time) and everything boots fine. I replaced the ram, but nothing changed, flashed the latest bios, nothing....I do not have the ability to test the PSU, but is there something I could do to test the MOBO?

ASUS P5KPL-VM
Intel core 2 duo 2.33 ghz
Optimax 550 PSU
Win XP home
2 gb ram

machine is about 2 yrs old

Thanks in advance

Caspersim
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse,
intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over
governments by controlling the money and its issuance."

~ 4th US President James Madison

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

check the mobo battery/ bios/clock battery. Is there any official name for that battery?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

I would borrow a PSU (you only need it for a few minutes) to see if normal boot occurs with a different one.

Louis

#4 Caspersim

Caspersim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

I will try a new PSU and get back to you....I forgot to mention that I also removed the mobo battery for 2 mins and nothing.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

I don't buy components...unless I intend to use them as future replacements...or I know that the current one needs to be replaced.

It's simple enough to remove one from another system...employ it for a few minutes...and return it.

Louis

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:24 PM

I would check to see if there is enough thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink. This kind of thing can be caused by a simple issue regarding the CPU over heating.

I would suggest Arctic Silver 5.

#7 Caspersim

Caspersim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

Ok..I was able to switch the 550W PSU out with a 300W generic PSU and the PC did the same thing...would not POST until I hit the 'reset' button on the case, then everything boots fine.

I will put some more paste on the CPU, however I have never done this before.

Any other suggestions would be nice before I go and buy a new MOBO.

Thanks guys

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

How is it mounted in the case?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

First off I want to give you a web site link related to your motherboard.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=i5ktecSJbqQKaa0x

Next it appears you need instructions on how to remove the heat sink from the processor for the addition of thermal paste.

Warning: Before proceeding with any attempts to repair or modify the inside of any computer, be sure to ground yourself to the computer's metal case before and at all times while you are performing this task.
The human body is capable of storing lethal amounts of static electricity, which is capable of destroying the sensitive electronic components which are located inside a computer.

Follow these instructions carefully.

I attached a picture of your motherboard below.

Attached File  P_500_1_.jpg   210.35KB   13 downloads

Please unplug the power supply and disconnect the monitor from the video port, turn off all devices or disconnect them before proceeding.

Open the desktops side panel.

Look for The CPU cooling fan located next to the name P5KPL-VM on the motherboard.

There is a clip located on one side of the processor.

Do not confuse this clip with the lever, this lever is only for removing the processor from the socket, which is not our intentions here. Leave that lever alone

Using a tool such as a screw driver, carefully push down on this clip, Be very careful NOT to slip and damage the motherboard!

Once the clip is disengaged, unclip the other side of the clip from the motherboard socket.

Remove the heat sink.

Carefully clean off excess thermal paste using a clean rag, remove any pads from heat sink bottom.

Carefully remove any thermal paste from CPU top, Do NOT use a lot of pressure!

Apply thermal paste, a small bead is enough, carefully spread over top of processor core head. Use the type of thermal paste Cryptodan mentioned above, it is a very good brand found at stores like Staples super stores.

Reapply the heat sink just as it was before, attaching the back side first, then carefully pushing down so the clip with the screw driver slot locks in last. Make sure the clips on both ends are properly attached, make sure the heat sink is fully seated on top of the processor. Make sure both clips are locked into place, by gently lifting up on the heat sink, it should not move, if it does, it is not cliped correctly

Please, before starting up the computer, recheck everything carefully, make sure everything appears back in place before starting up the computer again.

Once you are sure everything is OK, re-attach the power supply wire and any thing you disconnected earlier.

Start the computer.
Post back your results.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 April 2010 - 01:42 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Caspersim

Caspersim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Ok...I reapplied thermal paste to the cpu (couldn't get Arctic Silver, I was only able to get some generic paste) and nothing has changed, still no POST.

The PC seems to restart fine once booted to the OS, but as soon as you power it down, the problem returns.

So I've tried:

Removed battery 2mins
Replacing RAM
Replacing PSU
Added thermal paste

Should I try the video card, or by this point do we assume its the MOBO dying?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

Take all the components out and assemble them on a rubber mat or piece of cardboard and try it then.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

Ok...I reapplied thermal paste to the cpu (couldn't get Arctic Silver, I was only able to get some generic paste) and nothing has changed, still no POST.

The PC seems to restart fine once booted to the OS, but as soon as you power it down, the problem returns.

So I've tried:

Removed battery 2mins
Replacing RAM
Replacing PSU
Added thermal paste

Should I try the video card, or by this point do we assume its the MOBO dying?

You could try that, but my bet is you have some oxidation building up on a connector somewhere inside the computer and the restart sometimes jumps over the barrier, it might sound strange but it does happen.

Solution: First make sure you are grounded to the computers metal casing, this prevents any stray ESD's from zapping your components.

Go through out the computer and unplug each power plug from each device and re-turn the plug back where it came from, making sure it is fully seated.
Do the same to any or all data cables connected to hard drives and optical drives, make sure you disconnect and reconnect the plugs at both ends of the data wires or ribbon wires.
Do the same with power supply connector coming from the PSU to motherboard.

Remove and reseat the Video card into its slot on motherboard making sure it is firmly and completely down into the slot.

I think you got the idea what to do from here, do the same to any devices that are wired through jumper wires and so on.

Recheck your work to make sure everything looks good and secured, then restart the computer to see if this made the problem go away.

Report back here with your results.

Best regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 Caspersim

Caspersim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

Ok...I removed the ram and GPU...unplugged every power and data cable....removed the cmos battery....waited a couple minutes...replaced everything making sure it is all seated and plugged in properly....problem still persists.

PC wont boot, until the 'reset' button is pushed (which often takes many attempts before the button functions).

Caspersim

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

Take all the components out and assemble them on a rubber mat or piece of cardboard and try it then.

Ok...I removed the ram and GPU...unplugged every power and data cable....removed the cmos battery....waited a couple minutes...replaced everything making sure it is all seated and plugged in properly....problem still persists.

PC wont boot, until the 'reset' button is pushed (which often takes many attempts before the button functions).

Caspersim

Try my advise and see if it still happens.

#15 Caspersim

Caspersim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

"assemble them on a rubber mat.." I am not quite sure what you mean here. Assemble the computer on a rubber mat? I thought I just did that. I should remove everything, mobo, PSU, drives, etc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users