Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Martendeparten

Martendeparten

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hello all :flowers:

My computer is getting old and is slowly falling apart...
I'd love some tips on how to make my system function (at least close to) like it used to...

You see, I have this problem: My computer somtimes freezes up, but in the weirdest way: it totally freezes for 10 seconds, then unfreezes (lets you move or continues playing music) for like 2 secs, then freezes again...
Sometimes, plugging out my ext harddrive makes it stop, but then again sometimes it doesnt...

A couple of minutes ago, my computer rebooted out of nothing and now the 'Internet Explorer' shortcut on my 'Quick Launch'-pannel doesnt work (i use mozilla nyway) and browsing through my folders goes soooo slow... I think there's something wrong with my windows (ie explorer)

So summary:
1. Computer is getting slower
2. Temporary freezes (maybe related to my ext HD)
3. Something worng with my windows

So... any help? :thumbsup:

Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

System manufacturer and model?

How much free space on C:? How large is C:?

How much RAM installed?

Any onscreen error messages (exact wording, please)?

Louis

#3 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:24 AM

Your computer is old, how old is your pc. .?
The fact is, when a program will be installed on an old computer; let say, one from the computer museum, than you get troubles: The trouble is 1. the program you don't got that installed or when someone can install this then the program will be nasty.
Also is a fact that when a program is not compatible with Windows xp, you get troubles just like, freezing, rebooting without your command.
When you buy a program, than on the box, must stay a Win xp logo, without that is the software not compatible.
Also is the possibillity there, when a device which is not compatible with Xp and you or who ever, shut this on the usb, Windows will be a weird show behaviour.

#4 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

It may just be time to reinstall your OS. Over time, windows will accumulate alot of malware, unused registry keys, unused DLLs, old program files, and so forth. While you may be able to clean out most of it, it dosen't really beat a fresh start. You may also squeeze some performance out of your pc if you defragment the hard drive. Then again, if your computer is ANCIENT (1995 - 2001), then its probably time to buy a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users