Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Tool- Can it corrupt BIOS? Or, is it Hardware issue?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hbm55

hbm55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

I was trying to use the removal tools in the Security Tools Removal Guide, when my computer went into a continual reboot cycle until there was no monitor, mouse, or hardware activity. I shut down holding the case switch. Reboot had nothing but some circuity lights on the mobo, fans, and a 3.5" floppy search. There is no monitor, keyboard, or mouse activity. Don't know if BIOS was posting, or stopped. I can't find a boot floppy for that system.

Note, I was not able to install Malewarebytes prior to "melt-down". Security Tool was active (activated).

The guide does not indicate the above problem in the behavior traits; and, I am unable to find similar on web and this forum searches.

Have I got a combination hardware/malware problem?

I have started and processed most hardware tests on another machine. Graphics, memory sticks, and OS HDD work (Loaded all the cleanup tools, ran two antimalware programs--Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D--and cleared the found rogue files those programs identified). A new CR2032 battery was installed and son reset the CMOS. What remains to be tested are mobo, and Intel Core2 chip. The system is passive cooling and the Ninja processor cooling tower is a bear to deal with.

Before I dig into those remaining devices (I'm not a Geek, just very poor right now) I was hoping you could confirm/advise whether this is a malware or hardware problem?

Thanks,
hbm55

Edited by Budapest, 13 April 2010 - 05:27 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hbm55

hbm55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

Addendum to first post:

OS is XP-pro-sp3, w/ MS updates and manual install of those.
PSU seems OK; various parts are getting juice.

No prior malware scanners were installed. Firewall is MS default.
Aniti-virus is ESET NOD antivirus only

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users