Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Linux Open source and Free?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hi a couple months back I was looking into Linux.

I wanted to try it, but I am confused some people have told me that linux is a open source O.S. is that true?

I have looked into some websites and it has it for a free-download, is that true? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

Yes Linux is open source and free OS the ubuntu project is the most user friendly version of the linux OS.

Edited by computerxpds, 13 April 2010 - 04:57 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

Linux isn't the only open source OS out there.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

Linux isn't the only open source OS out there.

there i edited it out i remebered it right after i posted it and forgot to change it...
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

Ubuntu is really good OS for beginners but there is another one which is better imo, i recommend new comers the mint which is ubuntu based and more pre-configured.

And the main question: linux is mainly a kernel and there are distrubitions which uses this kernel to make custom made OS, these OS named like ubuntu, mint, pardus etc... There are some distrubitions free somes are not. For instance novell's desktop enterprise is not free but it's derived version opensuse if free, for regular users that is not a problem. You won't feel the difference.

Yes you can download these OS for free but you can pay to support them. To do this you can buy their CDs.

Edited by webdr, 13 April 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#6 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

Ubuntu is really good OS for beginners but there is another one which is better imo, i recommend new comers the mint which is ubuntu based and more pre-configured.

And the main question: linux is mainly a kernel and there are distrubitions which uses this kernel to make custom made OS, these OS named like ubuntu, mint, pardus etc... There are some distrubitions free somes are not. For instance novell's desktop enterprise is not free but it's derived version opensuse if free, for regular users that is not a problem. You won't feel the difference.

Yes you can download these OS for free but you can pay to support them. To do this you can buy their CDs.

Another vote for Mint because its almost too easy.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Another vote for Mint because its almost too easy.

I concur just too easy for me to use. haha :thumbsup:

but any way since we are now a little :trumpet: haha i think mint is cool though for a normal person to use if they want to start using linux. :flowers:

Edited by computerxpds, 13 April 2010 - 06:55 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

I would recommend trying a Linux LiveCD before jumping to it. Just to see if you like it or not.

http://www.livecdlist.com/

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

Linux is by nature FOSS (Free Open Source Software) licensed under the GNU-GPL. However there are versions (refer to as Distros) of Linux that are Pay to use software (sorry the exact title slips my mind). There are other FOSS Operating systems too like Solaris (currently, though that may change), and FreeBSD.

Linux is the kernel around which the OS distro is built there are versions of the kernel which are not fully OSS (certain proprietary software may be included). BSD is the same way and it has its own licensing structure too (It uses the BSD license)

Posted Image

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

As has been stated already, Linux refers specifically the the kernel, or central brain, of the operating system. The Linux Kernel is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2.0 which states that any software so licensed is freely available to anyone for any purpose with a few requirements added on. Anyone may download, distribute, sell, offer for free, or modify software under the GPL. The restrictions are that one cannot redistribute the software under a more restrictive license and that any changes made to the software must be recommitted back to the community under the same license. The GPL is the archetype for Free and Open Source Software licensing.

But a kernel alone isn't very handy. You'll need lots of other auxiliary programs interacting with the kernel and with the user to get anything done. Luckly, the good folks over at the GNU Project once again came to the rescue with an impressive and powerful set of systems software know collectively as the GNU Tools. The GNU Tools are licensed under the GNU GPL as well.

So, it is very possible to have an operating system built completely on Free and Open Source Software. The Debian Project, one of the oldest and most respected Linux distributions, aims for that very goal, and succeeds. Many other distros, such as Ubuntu and Mint, are built on top of the Debian system.

So the bottom line is this: any system that uses the Linux kernel must release at least their version of the kernel for free download. That doesn't mean that they can't charge for it or even that they have to release their entire distribution for free. However, in practice you'll find very few distros which don't release the majority of their work under a permissive or open source license; those that don't usually are of lower quality since fewer software developers will volunteer for them.

If you're concerned about whether or not a particular website is offering a legitimate and safe copy of a particular Linux distro, you are more than welcome to ask anyone here about it. Also, this website is a trustworthy resource for finding safe download locations: http://distrowatch.com/

#11 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

Gracias a todos (thanks every body) :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

You are very Welcome. :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users