Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Virus! Even MSDOS doesn't work.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yoni

yoni

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

although i don't know a ton about computers, i decided to build one myself about four years ago. there was trouble from the start. i kept getting registry issues. my computer was like a complex biological system: it would perform fairly well in general for a few days, but then it would require rest. only it took way too long to rest -- as much as two or three weeks.

i knew it needed rest because, if it was already running for a few days and had been left on, it would freeze up, or a complex error would occur. if i'd used it a lot and shut it down, it would give me a registry error if i tried to turn it on -- sending me to the blue screen when i booted up. i didn't know exactly how to deal with the registry screen, but i figured it was a hardware issue - perhaps bad RAM - since it only occured sporadically. (after all, i only had registry problems after the computer had been used a lot; it wasn't a consistent thing.) anyway, i had the RAM replaced, but it didn't help.

for a while i simply used other computers and ignored this computer, but recently i brought it out of hibernation. i tried to fiddle with the hardware, switching IDE cables around and whatnot, but after that didn't work i restored everything to it's original configuration (i thought). only now the problem is worse. now i can't even get a response when i type into the DOS prompt, let alone access windows. it's only been a few days, so perhaps it hasn't rested enough.

but here's a clincher: when i boot my computer there's a new message when i initialize (thohugh it's possible i never noticed it before). it reads, "Trend ChipAwayVirus® On Guard."

that's bad. not being able even to access windows, i attempted to format my hard drive. but MSDOS is completely unresponsive. nothing i type into the DOS prompt gives me a functional response; i just get an error message.

has anyone heard of this virus? could it be more than a virus and also be a hardware issue?

my computer is sick. please help.

thanks a million.

yoni

(Moderator edit: moved threat to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 21 September 2005 - 11:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:25 PM

Some info, that might help:
Trend Chipawayvirus On Guard
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:05 AM

Trend ChipAwayVirus on Guard is not a virus but something built into your bios as virus protection. Of course, since there is no way I found to access it seems it is obsolete.

Here is where you can get an update for it but of course you must make sure it is for your version of bios you have installed:(for Trend ChipAwayVirus® On Guard Ver 1.65
http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/154/154570.htm

This MB list it as an advanced feature:
LegenX Series . LegenX 7
http://www.lis.lv/qdi/mblege7.htm

Also, I could be wrong, but I have never heard of any computer "requiring rest" for anything more than a time period it would take for the processor to cool down after exceeding thermal limits.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 September 2005 - 07:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users