Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whatever happened to DRM ripping

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tjwh

tjwh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:08 AM

I recently attempted to watch a recorded online video stream, and found I could only play upon the acquisition of a (free) license. Figuring this stream was DRM protected, I attempted to remove the DRM by using mirakagi, drmdbg and fairuse4WM. This failed. I could identify the license, but Windows Media Player crashed right before playing the video (possibly owing to a dialogue box from the content provider). The tools I used were a year old. I did some more looking around, and at the doom9 forums it was concluded that, with the new version of DRM, DRM ripping was dead. It was advised to acquire the license, play the stream and record from the screen.

This seems an extremely tedious solution to a problem that essentially still is an (easy) decryption task? The stream is encoded (I played it in VLC and got only garble) but can be decoded by the key (license) (which is what happens in WMP). Hence, for this new DRM version, a program can be advised that does exactly this.

Has perhaps M$ implemented a new mechanism to idle DRM decryption attempts? Am I missing something else? Or is there another reason why DRM ripping is dead?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users