Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast versus Norton Security Suite

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 madex01

madex01

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

I have been using Avast for several years and it has generally been good for me. It has missed a few things which I have ultimately fixed through the support of this website, and it does slow my system down at times, but for the price I can't beat it.

Anyway, my internet provider has recently offered up Norton Security Suite for free as a benefit to its customers. My question is are there any benefits to switching? I would appreciate any feedback from anyone with experiences with the two, or just some honest opinions. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:37 AM

Norton was the product of 2009 for detection rates (av-comparatives tests etc..), it is light as avast and they claim they have advanced technologies. I believe you wouldn't go wrong if you choose norton.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

Antivirus comparisons are seldom trustworthy. And even if the source is actually good, the tests are not conducted in a useful manner.

Norton is first and for all a paid product, whereas Avast is free.

Avast is more light on resources than Norton, but Norton come with a firewall in its Security Suite.

Personally I encountered a few very nasty problems with Norton when attempting to clean certain rootkits. These problems were so severe that users who were affected could no longer boot succesfully.
However their biggest problem is their support. You have to pay to get support when you have a problem with their product.

With the above said, I am trying to stay objective here. There are also far worse products than Norton and if your ISP offers it for free, you can at least try it, but my personal opinion would be; stick with Avast.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

One thing with Norton (and now Avira) is that it looks up related files and registry entries when it finds a malware file. So thats more complete removal. Some other antivirus products only remove the malware file.

For example, if you insert a USB disk and it has a file infected with w32.Sality virus. Norton (and Avira) would not only delete the infected file but look for possible entries in registry and files that Sality virus might create on hard disk. But some other antivirus products, just clean/delete the infected file.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

One thing with Norton (and now Avira) is that it looks up related files and registry entries

While this is not a bad feature (I haven't heard of any problems with Avira), its proven disastrous in Norton.

As I mentioned, I have had a few cases, where the atapi service was wiped from the registry. Why? Because Norton detected an infected copy of atapi.sys and decided that "thus" the service attached to it, is bad too.

A computer without atapi service is toast. You can't recreate it. The only hope is somehow copy System Restore points back. Of course Norton support doesn't know how to do this, even if they are paid ........

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 madex01

madex01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

Thanks to all for your feedback. Its been helpful. I think I will stick with Avast on my main computer, and on a wireless "play" computer try the Norton.

#7 twiceshy

twiceshy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

I've found Norton to slow down my computer quite a bit. My ISP also gave it to us free when we used to get McAfee free (which I found to be better.) I want to switch to Avasti but what do I do about the firewall which was included in both Norton and McAfee? Any recommendations on freeware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users