Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Exclusions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aprendizaje

Aprendizaje

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:17 AM

I found in my Mcafee exclusions 16 files and I am not sure where and what they are. Can you help me understand what they are and if I should remove or be worried?
%systemroot%\security\**\*.edb
%systemroot%\security\**\*.log
%systemroot%\security\**\*.sdb
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Datastore.edb
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Edb*.log
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Edb.chk
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\edbres00001.jrs
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\edbres00002.jrs
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Res1.log
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Res2.log
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Tmp.edb
%systemroot%\system32\GroupPolicy\registry.pol

What are the file extensions .edb, .sbd, .chk and .jrs?

Forever learning!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aprendizaje

Aprendizaje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

OK, these I figured out.. they are excluded to increase stability of the system?
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Datastore.edb
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Edb*.log
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Edb.chk
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\edbres00001.jrs
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\edbres00002.jrs
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Res1.log
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Res2.log
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs\Tmp.edb

Not sure about the others yet.. am I right?

#3 Aprendizaje

Aprendizaje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

Registry.pol Files

The Administrative Templates extension of Group Policy saves information in the Group Policy template in text files with the name Registry.pol. These files contain the customized registry settings that are applied to the Machine or User portion of the registry which you specify using the Group Policy snap-in. The Windows 2000 Registry.pol file is analogous to the Windows 95 or Windows 98 Config.pol file and the Windows NT 4.0 NT Config.pol file.

Two Registry.pol files are created and stored in the Group Policy template, one for Computer Configuration, which is stored in the \Machine subdirectory, and one for User Configuration, which is stored in the \User subdirectory.

note-icon Note

The format of the .pol files in the Group Policy template differs from that of the .pol files in previous versions of Windows.

The .pol files created by Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95 can be applied only to the operating system on which they were created. The .pol file produced by the Windows NT 4.0 System Policy Editor was a binary file, whereas the Registry.pol file produced by Administrative Templates node of the Group Policy snap-in is a text file with embedded binary strings.

To view .pol files without applying them to the registry, use the Regview.exe tool located on the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit companion CD.

For additional information about Registry.pol files, see the Microsoft Platform SDK link on the Web Resources page at http://windows.microsoft.com/windows2000/reskit/webresources .
Top Of Page Top Of Page

#4 Aprendizaje

Aprendizaje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

%systemroot%\security\**\*.edb
%systemroot%\security\**\*.log
%systemroot%\security\**\*.sdb