Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping MSDOS-please reply fast

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kelton_b

kelton_b

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:22 PM

Well I was playing a game and I exited, but it wouldnt go to the desktop,(It was a black screen, with just my mouse) so I hit windows, and i thought it was clicked on shutdown so i hit down to go to restart but i selected msdos. So when i thought i was restarting a black screen cam up with the words, restarting in msdos, then it wouldnt load. It said it was missing a file or the file was currupted. This is actual script from the screen;

The following file is missing or currupted: C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 15
Device driver not found:'IDECD000'
No Valid CDROM device drivers selected
Bad Command or file name
Microsoft ® Windows 98
©Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1981-1999
C:\WINDOWS>_

I got it to go into safe mode to try and find those files, and I couldnt. I went to find file and typed oakcdrom=and nothing then i did CDROM=and got some confusing results that i didnt dare open.
Then I tried going to safe mode, then restarting and it went back to the msdos black screen
Then I tried doing the other options on the list and it was way too confusing.

This happened before when I was in 6th grade, and I remembered not touching it for like a day, then it worked. (father must of done something). And now im about ready to strangle my computer. Cause this game is the coolest in the world and now I cant even play it.

Sorry its so long.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:11 PM

In the MS-Dos mode at the:
C:\WINDOWS>

Type: Exit Then press Enter

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:57 PM

Go to your control panel, click system. then hardware, then device manager and then click the + to the left of "DVD/CD Rom drives" to access your cd drive.

Do you see a yellow or red warning there?

If so, go to the cd rom manufacturer's support page and download the latest driver. There may also be a firmware update download there too. Go back to the device manager and delete the cd rom device, reboot and let windows find and reload it unless you have already cleared the yellow or red warnings in the previous actions.

Double click on the cd rom device and then click on the "driver" tab, click to update driver. If you have kept your windows updates current it will be in your system, if not you may have to go to the manufacturer of the cd rom and download the driver and then do the access to install the latest driver again, navigating to where you stored it when you downloaded it.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:43 PM

The following file is missing or currupted: C:CDROMOAKCDROM.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 15
Device driver not found:'IDECD000'
No Valid CDROM device drivers selected

OAKCDROM.SYS is your system's universal CD drive driver. It should be found in the C:CDROM subdirectory. If it is missing, download it from here.

Techadvice.com

The line Device driver not found:'IDECD000' comes from the OAKCDROM.SYS file missing.

I hope this helps...

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users