Hi, I am reasonably certain that malware took-hold of my Firefox and IE browsers on my PC. I thought my experience might be helpful to the staff here, or other users trying to diagnose the same problem.
At this stage my problem seems to be fixed, but thought I should document what happened.
1. Firefox would display most of my home page – http://rohan.id.au
but appear to continue downloading. Reloading the page via Home button or Reload produced HTTP 416 error: “firefox 3.6.3 "requested range not satisfiable"”. Also tested with a simple well-known web page created by a third-party: http://cr.yp.to
-- similar results.
2. Internet Explorer 8 would take a long time to return results from http://google.com
Google Chrome was unaffected.
I double-checked on the web-server (because I made the content), and there was no such text in the HTML source.
Using Firefox "Live HTTP headers" addon, I noticed things in the log like:
if(top == self)
In Ethereal packet-sniffer, I detected traffic to feedma.com
I was bad and ran Combofix without asking for help -- sorry about that, I didn't realise the nature of Combofix at the time. So other readers shouldn't copy me -- instead obey the instructions posted on this forum concerning asking for help first.
Luckily, I ran Combofix, and it seemed to solve my problem. I could share with you what it said in its log if you like.
If someone knowledgeable could tell me what sort of Malware I was dealing with, I'd be interested to know.