Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID5 Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ultimaSuprema

ultimaSuprema

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

I have a server with RAID5 configuration, one drive failed a while ago, before i could get another drive to replace it, two more failed within minutes of each other this morning. there are a total of 4 drives, each about 30 gigs. the server wont boot up anymore.

does anyone know whats the easiest way to recover the data on the files. im trying to find a way to recover the drives, preferably by a cheap and simple solution.

however, any recommended solutions are appreciated. the data is more important.

i apologize for my noobishness, this is my first time on here.

thanks,

U.Suprema :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

From my understanding a RAID setup is designed to write the same data to all disks at the same time, reducing the risk of data loss.

I am not sure if you had yours set up this way or not, obviously the last drive to fail had your boot command on it which was RAID1 is this correct?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ultimaSuprema

ultimaSuprema
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

yea, its set up so that the data was striped across all the drives. however, im not sure about the location of the boot command. but what you said makes sense. is there a way to get the information back? im planning on getting a new server, so its just the data i want to extract from the drives and move it elsewhere..

-U.Suprema

Edited by ultimaSuprema, 12 April 2010 - 10:53 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

I would take a look at RAID Reconstructor at http://www.runtime.org/.

I don't play with RAIDs, but I do have experience using the GetDataBack program from this website.

Since the software offered by this site is "try, then buy"...I would see if it's worth the time.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users