Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashdisinfector

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

I've recently bought a digital camera. Since it uses usb thingy to connect to PC, it got me thinking... should I run flash disinfector by subs while it is plugged in?
I'm not sure but if I connect my camera with the usb connector to some computer that has infection which spreads through USB drives, it should infect my usb from the camera?

Also sorry for probably not appropriate section for this question but couldn't find a better one :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but I will answer based on my assumption of your question.
Flash disinfector searches for and removes certain USB/flash bound infections. The tool does not distinguish between the different types of USB drives as far as I am aware. Any USB removable drive will be scanned.
If your camera has a flash card that is "browsable" through USB, then I'd say that yes, the tool will scan and "disinfect it" should it need to.
Flash disinfector also removes all autorun.inf files in the root of the drive, and will create an autorun.inf folder on the drive to prevent those files from being recreated. That folder should not be removed.
Flash/USB drives are vectors of infection mostly because of the autorun feature. Disabling autorun is the best way to prevent inadvertently spreading infections to other PCs. You should still scan all downloads/files/drives with regular updated AVs before running them. "Disinfecting" a USB drive will not stop infections from being copied from/to it through regular means, it will only stop the autorun spread to other drives if an infected flash device is inserted in a clean PC.

Hope that made sense and answered your question.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Beenthere

Beenthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:44 AM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users