Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm quite sure I'm infected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TiredofMyPC

TiredofMyPC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

My computer is old and not in the greatest condition. Having said that, lately it has been running much slower than usual. Also, when I try to google something and click on a website, I am often redirected to other sites. I had this problem before a few months ago when I was infected with a braviax virus. I was able to find and get rid of the virus (I think). This time, I don't know what virus to look for. I have McAfee Security Center installed. Every now and then, there is a notification which says it has detected and repaired Patched-SYSfile.c (Trojan). It lists the file name as C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys When the notification occurs, it pops up continuously every few seconds for several minutes.

I also have IObit Security and Malwarebyte's Anti-Maleware installed. Neither program has detected anything.

Please help. What steps should I take next??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

Patched-SYSfile pointing at atapi.sys is a good sign of a TDSS Rootkit infection. This infection requires tools which are not permitted in this forum. With that being said, this one is best left to the experts, so I'm going to refer you to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum.

Please read the Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help in cleaning your computer. Once complete, post a link back to this forum so the MRT team knows what we have tried.

Please be patient as the MRT team is quite busy sometimes and it may take a day or even a few for someone to pickup your log but someone will get back to you.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users