Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup file

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 p4o2

p4o2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

I have a problem with some entries in the startup file on my Del labtop. There are four (4) entries that I can not delete. I mark them for deletion but they get put right back in.
The names are : *-, *--, *. and *..
They all show coming from C:\Document and settings/All users/Start menu/programs/startup/
Anyone have an idea what these are?
I looked in the startup database but did not find these

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

wow i did not know files could be named that. do you have an anti virus and if so when was the last time you scanned it?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 p4o2

p4o2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

wow i did not know files could be named that. do you have an anti virus and if so when was the last time you scanned it?

I have,and run, AVG, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Windows Malicous software tool. The entries are still there!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

Are you referring to entries reflected via msconfig?

What "startup file" are you referring to...what is the path?

Louis

#5 p4o2

p4o2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:25 PM

Are you referring to entries reflected via msconfig?

What "startup file" are you referring to...what is the path?

Louis

I am looking at the "startup file" with a program called "start cop" A second program that allows editing of the startup files does NOT show the four entries starting with *. So may be the glitch is in "start cop" since the path for these files points to an site that is empty?

Edited by p4o2, 13 April 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

I'm afraid you will have to read the instructions for using "start cop", I've never used it.

But I suggest you familiarize with the way it works...if you intend to keep using it.

It's normal, IMO, for programs which ostensibly perform the same function...to do so in varying ways and to have quirks. That's one reason why they have instructions and FAQs for such.

Louis

#7 p4o2

p4o2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

I'm afraid you will have to read the instructions for using "start cop", I've never used it.

But I suggest you familiarize with the way it works...if you intend to keep using it.

It's normal, IMO, for programs which ostensibly perform the same function...to do so in varying ways and to have quirks. That's one reason why they have instructions and FAQs for such.

Louis

I have looked at what instructions that are avaible. The 2nd program is Winpatrol. Since this one does not show the entries I will live with what I have. An aside, Winpatrol lets you lok at "entries with hidden targets". These all seem to be from Microsoft. Thanks for the response(s).

#8 p4o2

p4o2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

I have a problem with some entries in the startup file on my Del labtop. There are four (4) entries that I can not delete. I mark them for deletion but they get put right back in.
The names are : *-, *--, *. and *..
They all show coming from C:\Document and settings/All users/Start menu/programs/startup/
Anyone have an idea what these are?
I looked in the startup database but did not find these

PROBLEM SOLVED

From another NG I found that I am using Ver 1.0 and it has a Bug that puts these entries in when the target(s) are MT.

Startup cop is nolonger free so I dumped it for other programs.

Thanks for the replies.

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

glade you solved it and thank you for posting how you fixed it. :thumbsup:

Happy Computing. :flowers:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users