Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google search results redirect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ed U

Ed U

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum and signed up to get some help removing what seems to be nasty malware or spyware in my computer. For the past week, I've been getting a number of issues appearing all of a sudden on my desktop like google search results being redirected to another unfamiliar website, or some fake alert called "total xp security" or something like that, the name keeps changing each time I remove and it comes back.

I've installed both spybot S&D, and MBam, along with my Norton Antivirus software. They seem to catch some, but definitely not all. Please help.

Edited by Budapest, 12 April 2010 - 04:51 PM.
Moved from XP ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in safe mode.
-- If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Ed U

Ed U
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

I've tried performing GMER, and evertime it crashes my computer. I also tried you suggestion in an event it kept crashing, but it would still happen (even in safe mode). The entire screen would go black after scanning through all the files, and then show me that blue screen of death. Any further suggestions? Thanks for all your help.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:16 AM

Try re-running the scan with only the "Sections" box checked.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users