Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JIT Debugger and Search Redirect

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 jdn2468

jdn2468

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

I have been researching as many sites as possible about my problem. The closest I have come to a duplicate is [topic="307312-15"]here[/topic] on bleepingcomputer.com. However, I've run MBAM, Hitman Pro, Ad-Aware, UnHackMe, ESET, ComboFix to no avail. Symantec was running when I got infected. A couple of those programs found a file or two that they didn't like, but nothing fixed my computer. Here are my symptoms:

The Just in Time debugger is constantly popping up asking if I want to debug with a new instance of Microsoft Script Editor. I do not have Visual Studio installed on this computer. I close out every time, but it comes right back. Any Google or Yahoo search I run will give me a normal results page, but the links are redirected to all sorts of other sites - never the same site twice.

Please advise. A lot of sites suggest reformatting, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible. Thanks.

Edited by Budapest, 12 April 2010 - 04:58 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

Just-In-Time debugging is a feature that launches the Visual Studio debugger automatically when a program, running outside Visual Studio, encounters a fatal error. Just-In-Time debugging allows you to examine the error before the application is terminated by the operating system. The Visual Studio debugger does not need to be running when the error occurs.

If an error occurs while Just-In-Time debugging is enabled, a dialog box opens, asking if you want to debug the program and which debugger you want to use.

Just-In-Time debuggingIf you do a search on the net for Just-In-Time debugging errors, you will find numerous complaints about this particular issue and various possible solutions. What works for one person may not work for another. There are articles by Microsoft Support and discussions at the Microsoft Developer Network with several suggested solutions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jdn2468

jdn2468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

I have done my research on the JIT debugger. It's part of Visual Studio or SQL software. I've never installed any of this software. The debugger and the internet search redirects started at the same time, so I think they're tied together in some type of malware. I followed the directions to disable the JIT debugger - it didn't work.

I tried running the dds.scr, but it opened in notepad as a jumbled mess. Would that have anything to do with AutoCAD? It is listed as an AutoCAD LT Script. I tried running GMER 3 times but it froze and never completed. Also, I am not able to update Windows anymore. The Microsoft webpage displays "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. " I AM able to generate a log using HJT and using UnHackMe. I can post them if needed.

The problem does not seem to be getting worse, but nothing has made it better, yet. Everytime I get redirected or get a new tab popup, one of the following two symbols is always present, but only for a second before taking me to a different page: Posted Image or Posted Image

By the way, I'm running XP on a Dell Latitude.

I am dumbfounded by the fact that no scans can find anything mischievous...

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

You may be dealing with multiple issues.

I AM able to generate a log using HJT and using UnHackMe. I can post them if needed.

DDS/HijackThis logs are not permitted in this forum. Instead they need to be posted in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding RSIT attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
  • If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
  • Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If RSIT did not work, then post your HijackThis log.

#5 jdn2468

jdn2468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

Done. Please see my new post in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs. Thanks.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

Your log is posted here. The link you provided above goes to an older one created by another member.

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the Malware Response Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Good luck with your log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users