Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

learning C

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

Hey I am looking to do a little reading this summer into c, i know java and VB and I am looking to teach myself C before the next semester begins, does anyone know any books about C that are really good and make it easy to learn with out the help of an instructor?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

This one is freely available.

The quintessential C book is the original K&R C book.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

The quintessential C book is the original K&R C book.

+1
One of the best books on programming overall.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

Well I have some reading for you!

All C related

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/25db87se.aspx

Edit: corrected link to correct lesson.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 April 2010 - 01:08 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

@MrBruce1959:

Just an FYI: C and C++ are very very different languages, and I suspect a resource for C++ for learning C is probably not the best place to start.

However it's just as likely that's what the OP meant :thumbsup:

Have a nice day,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

@MrBruce1959:

Just an FYI: C and C++ are very very different languages, and I suspect a resource for C++ for learning C is probably not the best place to start.

However it's just as likely that's what the OP meant :thumbsup:

Have a nice day,
Billy3

Thanks for catching that billy I started out on the right path in mind, then got involved in another matter and posted with the wrong thought in mind and went after the C++ info by mistake, so I will correct my response up above with the right C page.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 April 2010 - 01:09 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

@wardeworth: C is often the last language taught in school these days because it does not force you to manually manage memory, eliminating an entire class of bugs students would normally have to worry about.
Posted Image

#8 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:58 PM

Okay, let me start by agreeing with the previous post; C and C++ ARE two totally different languages. C, which was a language originally created by Bell Labs, can be considered the Grandfather of C++. Many of the standards that C++, Java, C#, etc use are derived from C.

As a computer science student, I've had the opportunity to use both C and C++ in-depth (this past semester, I got to write an Oberon0 compiler from the ground up in C)

Anyway, if you wish to teach yourself C, like any other language you should start by learning the basics: data types, syntax, etc. A good resource to consider would be the website http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html. The specific page, given in the link, gives several intro to advanced tutorials covering both the C and C++ language.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users