Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where should I go to buy a customized desktop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 solomonm

solomonm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

So I have about $12-1300 to spend on a new desktop. I debated building it myself but I have very little time and it's been ages since I've built one. I'd rather pay a premium to have it built for me.

That being said, this computer will primarily be used for image editing. That is, a lot of work with LARGE files in adobe photoshop and lightroom. I'm a semi-professional photographer so it's important to me to have a computer that can keep up with the workload.

Aside from that I do some gaming. I wan't to be able to play games like modern warfare 2, assasins creed, etc on high visual settings. I also use my computer as a source for my multimedia and plan to run it into my TV for viewing HD movies etc.

I'm not really sure on the difference between RAM speeds now. But I know I need a solid video card, a decent amount of ram, and a cpu that can keep up. I would prefer a video card that could run out to two monitors (not a necessity) and has an HDMI output.

So yah.... Where's a good place to get a custom computer that falls into the above description? A friend recommended ibuypower.com but I've read both really good and really horrible reviews of the company. Also, it seems that they slightly overcharge for their product.

Any recommendations on where I should be shopping for this PC would be appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,

-Michael

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 April 2010 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

personally, for a prebuilt computer, I almost always recomend buying from HP, and directly from them if possible. You can customize a computer from their site to do what you want pretty easy. the reason I recomend HP is because they offer a decent quality product for a decent price (they arnt the cheapest out there, but you do get your moneys worth) and because they offer exceptional customer service-of all the companies ive dealth with, HP has stood out beyond all the rest. If your into anything editing, though it may boost the price a HP with a intel CPU will probably be your best bet for performance in that area, but AMD will suffice to. Just make sure you have them add in a dedicated mid range or higher video card into the mix.

you can buy manufactured computers from newegg to if I remember right, and if you dont mind refurbised computers, places like techforless sell refurbished computers that still have the manufacturers warranty on them for generally half the price of a new computer, that still perform decent.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Memphis T-shirt

Memphis T-shirt

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:43 AM

I haven't bought anything from IBuyPower personally, so I can't speak from *my* personal experience.

Unfortunately/fortunately, two acquaintances have, and their experiences were polar opposites.

The *bad* one, damaged in shipment due to poor packing. The buyer spent over a week dealing with UPS (IIRC?) and IBuyPower over who would foot the bill, and getting a replacement. I'll pass on the rest, but it WAS resolved.

The *good* one wasn't entirely snag-less, but was all to the good. IPBuyPower contacted the buyer and explained that they would have to make some substitutions, but at no extra charge. The buyer ended up with a beefier power supply, more RAM, and a "next step higher" processor. (He'd been sitting on the decision for a while, and the supply chain changed).

So for IBuyPower... <Popeye mode on> "ya takes yer chances" <Popeye mode off>

Patriot likes HP's custom builds. I've also seen Dell's custom builds. Probably OK.

I quit doing builds for others prettymuch. I hate having to do the hand-holding part, plus I spend far too much time making everything the way *I* would want it... and often guessing wrong on that.

My personal recommendation would be to find a good local independent "mom n' pop" shop and have them build it for you. That way, support is a short trip and/or phone call to figure out the problems.

The problem with that is finding one. Try asking around.

If you were in the Seattle WA or Eugene OR area, I'd have some for you. Unfortunately, I'm kinda 'n00bie' here on BleepingPooter and I don't know if that's allowed. (note to self... ask a moderator bout dat)

#4 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

depending on where you reside Frys always has a huge selection of most major brands to check out live if not as the last post newegg or tigerdirect both have a lot to choose from online

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

Edit: nevermind. Circumstances changed. I don't know if I can still recommend this place.

Edited by DeathStalker, 25 April 2010 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users