Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There A test to check motherboard

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eyeballs

eyeballs

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

My daughters laptop keeps shutting off. its starts to boot and lasts about a minute or so and then shuts off. I brought it to pcworld to check the charger and they checked it for me and said it was the motherboard was the problem.
What I want to know is, is there any way to check if the motherboard is the problem or is there any way to see what is causing theproblem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

Well under normal use, there is two things that could be the problem.

Number 1 The processor is not being cooled properly, so there could be dust build up inside the laptop preventing proper cooling and venting.

Number 2 There is a problem with the socket that the adaptor plugs into.

Laptops are not as easy to service like a desktop type is and requires a service manual that explains how to properly dismantle the device to prevent damage during disassembly.

My advise is, if it is not a simple matter of cleaning a few vent holes and it is an internal motherboard component, you might be better off bringing this one to the shop.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 April 2010 - 05:22 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

What are your system specs. IE manufacturer and model. and i have seen this before all to often it is most likely an overheating problem you could buy a thing of canned air and blow the thing out.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

mobos aka motherboards have several components on them. It is even possible there can be a problem because of bios battery. You need to ask them what was the problem exactly, if they say the problem was memory we can suggest you memory test utilities, if they say it is about something on mobo we can suggest another specific utilities.

#5 eyeballs

eyeballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:57 AM

The E-system laptop is an E-system 1412 with intel celeron dual core processor T1500 1.86Ghz
1024 Mb Ram running Windows Vista Home Basic if that helps.
The person in pc world said there was a noise coming from the charger and this had shorted out the motherboard.
I didn't think it was possible to tell the mobo was kaputt just from listening to the charger?
Which lead me here to ask my question

#6 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:13 AM

If you didn't run laptop without battery, it is really low possibilty that charger harm your mobo. It doens't sound ok to me.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:17 AM

The E-system laptop is an E-system 1412 with intel celeron dual core processor T1500 1.86Ghz
1024 Mb Ram running Windows Vista Home Basic if that helps.
The person in pc world said there was a noise coming from the charger and this had shorted out the motherboard.
I didn't think it was possible to tell the mobo was kaputt just from listening to the charger?
Which lead me here to ask my question

I can agree with you on your skeptism.

I suggest you take the cheap way of diagnosing that theory by buying or borrowing another charger with the same output ratings listed on the origional one. The brand name on the charger does not matter as long as the + - symbles match on the plug that plugs into the laptop and the volts and amps ratings listed on the charger are the same.

It might cost a few bucks to buy one, but a lot less then what a laptop repair would cost, only to find out the charger was just burnt out and its replacement brings the laptop back to life.

I came back to edit this in: You were never asked how old this laptop is, so I am asking you now, how old is this laptop? The reason for my question is I am wondering if a simple battery replacement is all that is needed. This does not rule out that the charger as I listed above could also need replacing.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 April 2010 - 05:55 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:40 AM

Another point I want to bring up, since I have a trade school degree for electronics theory and repair.

Your laptop might have a surface mount fuse, or one that is easily replaceable, mounted on the circuit board somewhere near the power jack.

There are manuals available on line that can assist you with the correct disassembly of your device to access that fuse if it exists.

If you are interested in attempting this repair yourself, please let me know and I will locate an on-line instruction manual for you, and guide you through the process here in this forum.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 April 2010 - 05:58 AM.

#9 eyeballs

eyeballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

The laptop is about 16-17 months old. When I brought it to pc world they tried another charger but the pc would not start up.
I have a little experience in fixing desktops, replacing ram, dvd drives, harddrives etc
have replaced ram in a couple of laptops
and would be willing to take this apart if needs be.
The way I look at it is I have nothing to lose and experience to gain

#10 eyeballs

eyeballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

I had nothing to lose so I removed to back cover, battery, Hard drive ,cd drive and then plugged it in and guess what it started so I put back in the hard drive and it booted up fine.
I put everything back together and damn thing wont start.
At least I now know its not the motherboard
Any otherideas or suggestions are welcome

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

take the battery out and see if it will start if it does then your battery needs replacing.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#12 eyeballs

eyeballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

I removed the battery but it still wont start. I' m going to take it apart again later( around 8 ish) to see will it boot again.
I'll report back with results. I'm starting to wonder is it possible that the charger is not making a full connection when the unit is fully assembled.
there cant be anything major wrong if it'll boot up when its stripped

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users