Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Disk permanent file removal!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stinky_Salad

Stinky_Salad

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

hello very very nice pupil :thumbsup:

i have a lame issue thats annoying me alot..i wana sell my external HDD, but since i know the fact that its literally impossible to delete any files from the hdd permanently i need help , i know this much that u can overwrite the data several times or somthing like that to make the data unrecoverable! so anyone please advise me a method/software to do that! is file-shredding through a software like spybot SD would work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

One possibility, Darik's Boot And Nuke Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing - http://www.dban.org/ .

Louis

#3 Stinky_Salad

Stinky_Salad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

but i dont wana make a bootable cd or drive , and even i make it , i dont know how to use a bootalbe usb drive to delete contents of my external HDD, isnit ther a sofware which can overwrite all the data?
thanks

:thumbsup:

#4 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

I would recommend you to use a linux Live CD and the command of dd.

#5 Stinky_Salad

Stinky_Salad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

I would recommend you to use a linux Live CD and the command of dd.

is that for vista?

#6 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

It is for every computer, let me explain it a little bit more.

1-) You need to create a live CD or live USB of Linux. I already recommend a linux distrubition.
2-) You need to boot your computer from this CD or USB.
3-) After it you need to run dd command at linux shell.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

You can try this free program called Disk Wipe.

I have downloaded it and tested it for viruses and malware and it came up clean.

http://www.diskwipe.org/download.php

I also did a google search and came up with a lot of hits for free fully functional disk wiping and data destruction programs, so feel free to try that as well.

You want the program to write data to the disk with at least 3 full passes to ensure your data is not retrievable.

By the way this program is a stand-a-lone program, meaning it does not install into any directory.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 April 2010 - 04:58 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Stinky_Salad

Stinky_Salad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:18 AM

thanks...i just did a 3pass DOD overwrite on my external HDD with the diskwipe, shal i also encrypt the HDD with truecrypt?

#9 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:07 AM

Hello,

3 passes is better than 2 or but goverments uses 7 passes i think.

Be carefull about encrypting whole hdd, if you do it, windows will you give you an alarm that disk need to be formated because it will not recognize truecrypt volume. So if you click format it while you are not so carefull your all data would gone.

Also if your hdd would be harmed pyhsically in future you would lost all data because truecrypt wouldn't open it but if you create partitions in that hdd and if you encrypt those partitions you would be more safe. Because you will lost only that partition's data if the damage occurs. For me 50 GB or 100 GB file containers are more safe.

Edited by webdr, 13 April 2010 - 05:07 AM.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

Hello,

3 passes is better than 2 or but goverments uses 7 passes i think.

Be carefull about encrypting whole hdd, if you do it, windows will you give you an alarm that disk need to be formated because it will not recognize truecrypt volume. So if you click format it while you are not so carefull your all data would gone.

Also if your hdd would be harmed pyhsically in future you would lost all data because truecrypt wouldn't open it but if you create partitions in that hdd and if you encrypt those partitions you would be more safe. Because you will lost only that partition's data if the damage occurs. For me 50 GB or 100 GB file containers are more safe.

Yes 7 passes is usually a Government standard and I agree with you that 7 passes is a good number to work with, but it depends on what type of data you are trying to destroy and whether it is classified as a security issue such as The Department of Defense documents.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 April 2010 - 11:48 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

thanks...i just did a 3pass DOD overwrite on my external HDD with the diskwipe, shal i also encrypt the HDD with truecrypt?

I am not clear as to why you want to encrypt the data on the drive if it has already been destroyed and wiped numorous times.

Unless you were refering to encrypting the drive for future re-use for yourself. (Or are you refering to another drive?)

However your opening post stated you planned on selling this drive, so that's where my confusion comes in.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 April 2010 - 11:55 AM.

#12 Stinky_Salad

Stinky_Salad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

I am not clear as to why you want to encrypt the data on the drive if it has already been destroyed and wiped numorous times.

Unless you were refering to encrypting the drive for future re-use for yourself. (Or are you refering to another drive?)

However your opening post stated you planned on selling this drive, so that's where my confusion comes in.

sorry for the unnecessary confusion , since i dont really have knowledge of all this so i thought i can encrypt a layer of HDD which is not usable and the new user can overwrite that layer, well it doesnt work that way i suppose,

shall i do another 7 passes overwrite just to make sure, btw h long the 35 passes would take ?
thanks

#13 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

It depends on your hdd space. When i have used "my method" which i mentioned above for 640 GB external HDD took 5 days.

If you do more passes that time would be longer.

Even after 3 passes a NASA personel needed to get data back. :thumbsup:

#14 Stinky_Salad

Stinky_Salad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

well thanx for the assurance :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users