Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Water on CDs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 winsordawson

winsordawson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

I know the common way to clean CDs (cleaning fluid, static-less cloth, etc), but can water be used as well? I would think water could only damage a CD if it were hot enough to warp it. Or would water at any temperature destroy the outer coating?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

water from a tap may not be good if you have alot of impurities....(hard water)

usually dish soap and luke warm distilled water is the best but if you have decent tap water it should hurt.

#3 winsordawson

winsordawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

water from a tap may not be good if you have alot of impurities....(hard water)

usually dish soap and luke warm distilled water is the best but if you have decent tap water it should hurt.

You mean "decent tap water shouldn't hurt," right? Is bottled commercial water (Poland Spring) distilled?

#4 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

i'm sorry typo. correct decent tap water should not hurt.

most commercially bottled water is filtered so it should be okay as well.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

I just use tap water and dry with an old T-shirt, seems to do the job.

Louis

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

I just use tap water and dry with an old T-shirt, seems to do the job.

Louis

@ hamluis The ole T shirt trick huh? They do come in handy for a lot of things don't they! :thumbsup: LOL!

@ meuchel The dish soap trick also works well with removing the oils left behind by the human hands and fingers though!

Good tips guys! :huh:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

ive also heard that you are only supposed to clean your cd's by wiping from the center to the outside edge, not around in a circle. is this true?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

ive also heard that you are only supposed to clean your cd's by wiping from the center to the outside edge, not around in a circle. is this true?

100% true.

The reason being the data tracks spiral around the disk from the inside out, by cleaning a disk in the same direction as the tracks, runs the risk of creating scratches that follow the data tracks continuously resulting in the risk of numerous bits of data being corrupted in a row, causing read errors.

By wiping from the middle out wards only runs the risk of corrupting one bit of data per cycle, the drive can still make out what the data is supposed to be even with that one bit missing and resume.

Too much data missing causes the drive to try to make sense of what it has and sometimes loses its way and stalls on that area, looking for more data, which does not exist.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users