Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building 2 PCs - Problem with One

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 imassutse

imassutse

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

This is my first build and of course I decide to do two PCs. I have always done my own upgrades though, but first build from ground up. First PC was a breeze, but the second I am having some issues. Hopefully someone can help. Here are the specs.

PC # 1 (Family PC, used for surfing, music, pictures, and some videos)

Case: Raidmax Smilodon
PSU: 500W supply included with Smilodon
Motherboard: GA-H55M-UD2H (rev. 1.0)
CPU: Core™ i3-530
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3-1600
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X
Graphics: On board

PC #2 (My personal PC, mild gaming and entry level graphic design)

Case: Raidmax Smilodon
Motherboard: BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI
CPU: Core™ i7-860
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3-1600
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X
Graphics: PNY VCGGTS2501XPB GeForce GTS 250

I am not able to install Windows 7 on on PC #2. Here are my results,

The default SATA setting in BIOS is IDE.
When I get to the point to pick my partition/drive to install Windows 7, and I pick my drive and click Next I get the following message.
"Windows is unable to install to the selected location" and then when I attempt to gather more information I get the following error, ""Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." I have the option here to load driver, and I have attempted this to update my SAT controllers drivers, but the system just hangs.

I have the option to change to AHCI, but when I change to AHCI the BIOS sees only the make of the drive, but it cannot detect the position of the drive. When it run posts, SMARTS comes back and says it detects the drive, but the SMART response is "bad."

I went back and forth for a couple hours until I eventually got a BSOD saying, "POWER_STATE_DRIVE_FAILURE" I may have the syntax mixed up, but I am wondering if I need a bigger PSU, which brings me to more questions. Is it possible for the system to only recognize certain information from the drive if the drive does not have a enough power to it? I would imagine the power draw from the equipment is variable, so I would think it would be possible. Any suggestions? When I get home tonight I was going to

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

Before you burn anymore time try this:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...=30&lang=en

Download the ISO, use IMGBurn if you don't have any CD burning software, or use ImgBurn anyway because it works great to burn a CD. I think this is a bootable CD with drive diagnostics on it.

Are you plugging your hard drive into the SATA0 port on the motherboard, and not a RAID only port that needs extra drivers? Sounds like you might have a bad hard drive out of the box. Can you hook up the hard drive to your other system to see if it is recognized? Can you run diagnostics on it when it is hooked up to the other system?

With WIn7, you should run AHCI mode vs IDE mode.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 April 2010 - 11:32 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Koinos

Koinos

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Did a quick look using the Power Supply Calculator on the NewEgg site and you look to be at the ragged edge of power required for this build. Power Supply Calculator at NewEgg
Its recommending a 480 to 525W PSU. I'd go for a 600W - 650W thinking to the future.

I had a similar issue on a build a few years ago. Everything installed fine and was working until I put a load on the machine then I would get intermittent memory errors. Spend hours swapping memory in and out and finally replaced the PSU and everything worked fine since.
Quote to ponder;
Jack Sparrow: Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

#4 imassutse

imassutse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

Unfortunately I think my trouble is indeed a failed drive. I ran the Diagnostic Utility that dpunisher suggested and I got the following messages,

No Western Digital Drives Found
NON-WD DRIVE
ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0201

I then moved the drive to PC #1 and it never would load. I kept hear that all familiar sound of the disk trying to spin, but not quite making it. This is the config:

SATA2:0 - system HDD
SATA2:1 - system DVD
SATA2:2 - EMPTY
SATA2:3 - EMPTY
SATA2:4 - HDD in question, but shows as NONE

I am pretty sure this system, since there is no graphics card can support the power of this second HDD. Sounds like I need to start another RMA with New Egg, second one with them on this build, but they are usually pretty cool.

#5 imassutse

imassutse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

dbpunisher:

Why should I run AHCI instead of IDE? I am doing IDE on PC #1 and it's working fine. That's one thing I always wondered. Is it actually running at IDE speed or SATA2 speed? Does using IDE throttle the SATA2 interface? If so I definitely want to change that.

#6 imassutse

imassutse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

I read this,

As their standard interface, SATA controllers use the AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface), allowing advanced features of SATA such as hotplug and native command queuing (NCQ). If AHCI is not enabled by the motherboard and chipset, SATA controllers typically operate in "IDE emulation" mode which does not allow features of devices to be accessed if the ATA/IDE standard does not support them.

Windows device drivers that are labeled as SATA are often running in IDE emulation mode unless they explicitly state that they are AHCI mode or in RAID mode,

so I guess what I am using is IDE emulation.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

There just isn't a reason to not run ACHI. Vista and Win7 support it natively, the newer chipsets and drives support it. In the XP days, with the first gen SATA chipsets, it was an iffy proposition. If you enable ACHI in the BIOS when you install the OS, the drivers install automatically.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

just got to put in my 2 cents worth but i had a problem with my HDD getting recognized and tuff and it ended up me having a faulty drive and had to return and get a new one so that very well could be the problem...just a faulty drive

#9 imassutse

imassutse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

Can I change from IDE to AHCI even if my OS has been installed on it? The default BIOS setting in my BIOS for the controller was IDE and I have read that this happen a lot.

#10 imassutse

imassutse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

Blaze413:

It's kind of funny that I am hoping my drive is bad, but indeed I am.

#11 imassutse

imassutse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

Found a method to enable AHCI. I am going to try it when I get home.

#12 imassutse

imassutse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

Just got my new HDD back from NewEgg installed it and installed Windows with no problem. I was the HDD.

Thanks

#13 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Good to hear, and thanks for posting back as to the solution. It does help us out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users