Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unlocker: Folders Deleted Reappear After Re-boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 black069

black069

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

Hi everyone. I have noticed that quite a few people have experienced problems when trying to delete files, often receiving the message, "Cannot delete X: Access is denied. Make sure the file is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I have read several forums in which users recommend various programs to delete these stubborn files. Among them, I have used the following programs:

1. HijackThis>Misc. Tools>System Tools>Delete a file on reboot
2. MBAM>More Tools>FileAssassin
3. Safe Mode>Delete
4. But the one that I have found to be most effective, because it allows the deletion of files and folders, is Unlocker.

However, there are at least 3 "programs" in C:\Program Files that have been terrorizing me for some time. I am able to unlock the process, in these three cases...Winlogon...and then delete the folders/subfolders. However, when I reboot my computer, these folders re-appear in Program Files. I put the term "programs" in quotes earlier b/c they aren't actually programs or files of any sort...just folders and subfolders with 0 bytes of data. (It is also, at least to me, somewhat strange that all three folders as well as their subfolders are in lowercase letters.)

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and, if so, can advise me on how to go about permanently deleting these folders. And before anyone asks...yes I can live with this problem, but I really try to keep my system tidy and know what all of the programs are. Plus, there has to be some educational value in figuring out this issue.

The folders in question (and subfolder(s)), which, again are in C:\Program Files are:
1. xerox>nwwia
2. msn gaming zone
3. microsoft frontpage>version3.0>bin

I don't use any of these programs, but I did have a camera years ago that used xerox software, and at one point, I did install Microsoft OneNote (which I believe is related to Frontpage). As for msn gaming zone...can't recall.

I have a Dell Precision M6300 Workstation, running Windows XP Pro SP3, fully patched, and free of viruses and other malware.

Thanks for anyone's help, in advance.

Scott

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2010 - 04:22 PM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

Those are protected windows files,
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/.../16/258220.aspx

#3 nomnomtoast

nomnomtoast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

I am almost 100% certain that an unbelieving moderator will lock/ delete this post, but the completely honest answer to what the Xerox>nwwia folder is, and where it originated is from me. While I was married, I hid my "adult videos" from my wife in the nwwia folder. I hid that folder in the Xerox folder in Program files so that it looked like a somewhat legitimate "true" program file. Given my wife's lack of computer knowledge, I doubted that she would snoop through anything in "Program Files" for fear of messing something up. How this file has managed to make it onto a plethora of computers globally, I have no idea. I noticed it on a few of my friends' computers that I have never shared a network with and decided to check if anyone else on the internet had these. I guess people do. But, at least I can let them know that these files are completely harmless, as far as I know. They had nothing but videos I downloaded from a "frequented" streaming site. >_> I hope that this information is not a tos violation for the content of the message, but it is absolute truth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users