Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard problem...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

Starting this morning, my keyboard begin acting really weird. I haven't had any problems before, but while I was typing on Yahoo Instant Messenger, the '/' character kept appearing as I was typing, and sometimes when I wasn't typing at all. Then it would stop. Next time I logged on to YIM, it started again during the middle of a conversation. I'm not sure the problem is specific to Yahoo since that's the only venue I've typed in today...'cept this post on BC.

I thought maybe something fishy like a virus or something was causing this, but then again, it's a really old keyboard and it was in use long before I started typing on it. Maybe it's just that particular key sticking...but I don't recall having typed that key. I know the second time '/' kept popping up, I held down that key and then it stopped. Might've been a coincidence.

Is there something I can do to check this out, or should I just buy another keyboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bonk

Bonk

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:56 PM

Yes there are lots of things you could try but keyboards are cheap and it had a good run.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:00 PM

I thought maybe something fishy like a virus or something was causing this, but then again, it's a really old keyboard and it was in use long before I started typing on it. Maybe it's just that particular key sticking...but I don't recall having typed that key. I know the second time '/' kept popping up, I held down that key and then it stopped. Might've been a coincidence.

Usually viruses dont concentrate on minor annoyances, such as your problem. Id say try another keyboard, and if it works fine.....buy another. Is this just yim?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:25 AM

Are you running aanti-virus and anti-spyware softwares. There are several excellant freewares that you could try before spending any money.
AdAware 1.06
Spybot S&D 1.6
MS Antispyware Beta (for W2k, XP,and XP Pro only)
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
Like TEB stated virus and spyware don't usally attack devices like this, but some items they do attack effect other systems.
If you are not running AV and AS software you should be. Give it a try.

Good luck.

Edited by acklan, 22 September 2005 - 06:27 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:15 PM

@TEB...Yep, it only happened on YIM. But I didn't have any problems during my last convo on YIM.

@acklan...I have security in place...ZoneAlarm firewall, AVG Anti Virus, Spybot, Adaware, SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster. I did a HijackThis scan a couple of months ago, and it came back clean. AVG has never found a virus, although I got an error message last night when I tried to scan, so I didn't get to see the results. That's never happened before, but I dunno if I should be concerned since my computer has begun to act up every time it runs in safe mode.

I haven't had any problems today. I figure it was just a malfunction in the keyboard. It just struck me as odd that a character would appear out of the blue...lines of 'em...then stop...and then appear only as I began to type.

I'll buy a new keyboard regardless, it's time for a new one.

#6 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:12 AM

Keyboards have resistors/diodes in line with each key to help prevent 'ghost keys' (such as your '/' key) from popping up, but there in there mostly to keep them from showing up when multiple keys are pressed. It might be possible that a diode went in your keyboard thus causing this problem.

#7 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for your input, guys. The problem seems to have gone away -- for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users