Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i.expl. connections not finishing/rendering

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Grrr

Grrr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:57 AM

After clearing some fresh space on my C: drive at work the other day (using add/remove programs):

1) Internet Explorer 6 would no longer find/finish loading internet documents, stopping page load throws an 'Action Canceled- ...page may be unavailable...' error.
2) Other browsers (netscape, mozilla) work fine UNLESS you put netscape in 'view as i.e. mode', then it acts the same as i.e.6--no pages load. So it's not connection properties like tcp/ip, etc.
4) Have repaired, re-installed, reconfigured everything win2K or ie6 under the sun to no effect. Repeatedly. Whole os, everything up to most recent, nothing changes.
3) Reregistered dll's etc. according to every MS techsupport reference I could find to no avail. Ran batch to reregister every .dll,.ax,.ocx associated with i.e.6 OR the shell as found at http://www.onekit.com/store/review/262.html. Still no change.

I have no other symptom to report except that nothing will load if it is in i.explorer or a browser emulating i.explorer. I find no events in logs that lend any clues, and have no other problematic applications that I have found so far. I have somehow axed a critical process but have no idea where else to look for it.

Any ideas? I'm a web developer by profession and I am out of ideas here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:19 PM

Look in EventLog for clues.

Update XP for all critical updates through today.

Run chkdsk /r.

Louis

#3 Grrr

Grrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:00 PM

Thanks, but nope, none of that stuff. I'm on 2K, by the way.
However, I FOUND A NEW CLUE!

If I hit the page through a secure header (put https:// in front of the url instead of http://) it will finish and render properly, or at least try to as best it can with the paths it can map through it's secure certificate directory.

Someone out there knows i.e.6 browsers well enough to tell me what is different (from the browsers point of view) between resolving an address with/without security and that isn't used by other browser types by default. Right?

#4 Grrr

Grrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:41 PM

Problem is fixed, unfortunately never did figure out why/how it occurred. Started working again a few days ago with no reboot, no new installs, no nothing. I had given up. Go figger. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users