Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible botnet infection, need help.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ploatman

ploatman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hello everyone,

I think i may have a botnet, but i don't seem to be having any of the symptoms, just one odd message that pops up whenever i start my computer.

The message runs from Java, so i'm not sure what the real source of it is, but the message reads as follows;

Title: "Message."

Body: "! You are infected with a botnet, the persons host who has infected you is: xa4.no-ip.info"

I entered that message into google to see if anyone else had this same problem, but all i came up with was a few webpages written in German and a post on this forum, a post which i can't see because it was probably deleted for whatever reason. I did a search on this forum as well, but nothing came up.

Like i said, i don't seem to be having any slow-downs, or any problems with my internet connection, i've never seen my network utilization go any higher than 0.22% and i don't understand why a virus would be telling me of it's existence when the entire point is to stay hidden, but it's strange and even if it's not causing any problems now, something may happen later. Plus i can't get rid of the message, the only way i could think to get rid of it would be to uninstall Java, which isn't a real solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Paul

I forgot to add that, on the message there's an "OK" button which i can press, but i haven't, i always close the message with the X. Maybe the "OK" button does something?

Edited by ploatman, 11 April 2010 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smige

Smige

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

This exact problem came up on my computer today. Google search and this page came up. I went into MSCONFIG and found something called Javar.jar was running at startup. I stopped that and saw that the file was somewhere in documents and settings so hunted it down and deleted it. Just about to restart and will let you know if it pops up again.

EDIT: Seems to have got rid of the immediate problem of the message, whether or not there is a deeper problem I'm not sure. My anti-virus, ad-aware and Trend Micro's 'RUBotted' have all been oblivious to the ordeal so hopefully not.

Edited by Smige, 14 April 2010 - 08:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users