Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 bigsenator

bigsenator

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

I have had some problems with my computer for a while with it completely freezing and locking up on me as in keyboard and mouse can't be used and ctrl+alt+del doesn't work either, the only way to stop it is to shut it down manually through the button on the case. This problems mostly always occurs during games and at random times during the games the computer will freeze. The problem has also happened a few times during general computer usage (browing internet, playing music, IM'ing etc) but not so much, mostly in games.

Here are some specs (if more are needed please let me know) :
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.93ghz
3gb RAM
nVida 9800GT 1gb
Gigabyte EP31-DS3L (motherboard)
Running windows 7 64 bit

Some people have said it might be temperature problems and i have everest if any information about temperatures are needed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by bigsenator, 11 April 2010 - 08:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:36 PM

Yes, my first thought would be temperature related.

When is the last time you cleaned out the inside of the computer?

This includes the processors heat sink and any heat sinks related to the Video graphics card.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 bigsenator

bigsenator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

Ummm i haven't cleaned it since i got it which was about a year ago, i don't know if it is so much of a dust related problem because when i first got the computer i started playing games on it that same day pretty much and it froze up from day one, i just haven't got around to fixing it.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

when i first got the computer i started playing games on it that same day pretty much and it froze up from day one

One would wonder, why you didn't bring it back to the store right then....hmmm

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 bigsenator

bigsenator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

lol yeah i did straight away and they replaced the motherboard because they said it was the problem but then the freezes still continued. I haven't taken it in since then and now my warranty is over.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

I'd classify it to this category:
"Nice job...duh"

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 bigsenator

bigsenator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

what do i do with speedfan?
do i just let it run for a while and then screenshot the temperatures?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

what do i do with speedfan?
do i just let it run for a while and then screenshot the temperatures?

Yes and Broni will check out the image for you and give you ferther instructions.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Thanks, MrBruce :thumbsup:

@ bigsenator
It'd be a good idea, if you post two sets of readings, one when computer idle and another one, while playing some game.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 bigsenator

bigsenator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

Okay here is the temperatures while the computer is idle and by idle i mean i had mozilla firefox open and windows live messenger open, if that has any affect.

Posted Image

#11 bigsenator

bigsenator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

Here is the readings done while playing a game which is not as heavy on the system as the ones that crash. By the way i also had firefox and live messenger open for this screenshot.

Posted Image

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

what are they at under max load (like a game that does cause a crash?) if possible, load up one of these games, and try to alt tab before they freeze maybe?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#13 bigsenator

bigsenator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

ummm okay i will give it a try.

#14 bigsenator

bigsenator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:36 AM

Okay here is a quick screenshot taken when Modern Warfare 2 was open and in gameplay on a level with full graphics. Had to try to get this screenshot a few times because computer kept crashing while the level was loading :L

Posted Image

Edited by bigsenator, 13 April 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

Well, I don't see any overheating here.

Some other possibilities: an infection, system files issues, or some hardware issues.
What are your feelings about any security issues?

***** If you have separate video card, try to switch to on-board video and see, if it helps.

***** Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista/7), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista/7).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista/7, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista/7 case).

***** Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users